Looking for clubs/ dive buddies in the Columbus, GA to Panama City Beach area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T.C.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone, I've recently (to me at least) moved to the Columbus, GA area and would like to meet some of the local divers and dive clubs.

I lived in the Manhattan, Kansas area for about 11 years, and had a great local shop while I was there. We had a great dive club that I enjoyed being a part of, taking trips with, having interesting and informative club meetings, and being involved in those meetings. I still talk with this club, but would like to find the same sort of great people and cameraderie that I had with this club.

I did one trip to Panama City Beach last year, but was deeply disappointed by the dive shop that I went with; only the shop owner was willing to talk with me, no one wanted to converse or introduce themselves, and I was left with the impression that no one wanted me in their group. So, between that, the fact that I haven't found any clubs in the Columbus area with a web search, and work (I travel often) I didn't get back to diving the Gulf Coast last year.

But this year, I really would like to get much more diving done there! I'm used to a weekend trip being a 6 hour drive, so the three hours to PCB is awesome for me. I'd love to find a club or group in the area to join and participate with, as well as someone (or some people) to regularly buddy with.

So if there's any groups that would like another involved, committed, active and safe diver to join them, please let me know! Thanks!

Matt

Hello Matt,

I am a little over an hour north in Newnan, GA. Any diving in the Pan Handle will have me driving through Columbus. I bring no knowledge or expertise of dive operators in the Pan Handle area, but if your up to looking until we find a great one...I am up for that also. One of my goals this year is to dive on the USS Oriskany.

My LDS is up in Peachtree City which is too far, so I hope you are able to locate a good LDS in Columbus.

I wil send you a PM with my information.

Brian

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the PM; I've sent one back. Oriskany is one of my goals too- my high school math teacher was a A-6 bombardier on the Oriskany.

Welcome to Florida panhandle diving Mat! I plan gulf wreck dive trips out of Panama City pretty regularly in the summer. I also plan a few Oriskany dive trips each year. In fact, our first one is coming up next month if conditions are good. While most of the trips I plan are tech oriented, recreational divers are always welcome as long as you dive within your limits. We usually do one long dive while the rec divers do a couple of shorter ones. You may also want to consider taking a cavern class. Unfortunately, the gulf gets blown out pretty regularly and I've had almost as many trips called off as trips that went out because of sea conditions. The nice thing about having cavern training is you can just head to one of the many springs in the panhandle so your 3 hour drive isn't wasted. You can keep up on the trips I plan on the calendar on my website - Rob Neto. Hope to see you on some of the trips!

And thanks for serving!

I second what Rob said. If you are even remotely interested in cavern or cave diving check out Mariana, Fl.. The Mill Pond offers some of the best cavern / cave diving anywhere and it never gets blow out. Rob is a good instructor and another good source of information for the area is Edd Sorrenson at Cave Adventurers dive shop on the Mill Pond. There are many great groups centered around cave diving. In fact there is a cookout mini workshop for the Nss-Cds going on next weekend in Mariana and at Edd's. Stop by and check it out I feel like it is probably what you are looking for. Call Edd at Cave Adventurers 850-482-6016 and tell him what you are looking for.

https://mariannaworkshop.eventbrite.com/

Welcome to Florida panhandle diving Mat! I plan gulf wreck dive trips out of Panama City pretty regularly in the summer. I also plan a few Oriskany dive trips each year. In fact, our first one is coming up next month if conditions are good. While most of the trips I plan are tech oriented, recreational divers are always welcome as long as you dive within your limits. We usually do one long dive while the rec divers do a couple of shorter ones. You may also want to consider taking a cavern class. Unfortunately, the gulf gets blown out pretty regularly and I've had almost as many trips called off as trips that went out because of sea conditions. The nice thing about having cavern training is you can just head to one of the many springs in the panhandle so your 3 hour drive isn't wasted. You can keep up on the trips I plan on the calendar on my website - Rob Neto. Hope to see you on some of the trips!

And thanks for serving!

Rob, Thanks for the reply. I'm in Kansas right now, but when I get back in April, I'll have to take some time and come down and visit.

Hetland and bamafan, thanks for your imput as well. Unfortunately, I don't do the whole facebook thing... but thanks anyways!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom