Looking for carry-on gear bag recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am an airline pilot and can tell you most U.S. airlines will not weigh a carry on and will not ask so long the luggage is the appropriate size. If the luggage is too large, you will be asked to check it. We have a set number(s) (pounds) per bag used in calculating weight and balance for carry on luggage...even a passengers weight will change based on what season it is...Normally, each person is allowed 2 carry on (1 piece of luggage + 1 personal item).

I have seen many divers on the plane bring all of their equipment and clothes for a weeks trip to the tropics. The Oceanic AT-Pak 4 is perfect for equipment made to travel light. I have seen those bags a lot with fins strapped to the outside..fits great in most larger jets bins..regional jets you will have to gate check the bag but it is returned to you on the jet bridge after you deplane. Use a larger than normal backpack for your personal item..you can fit rolled up clothes (weeks worth), personal items, passport, money, ect leaving you to have to check NO luggage. Keep in mind a travel BCD will most likley have to be used so it folds up tightly into the pack...some BC's are just too large...

If you know how to pack correctly and light (essentials only) it is very easy to take all of your stuff with you onto the plane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom