Looking for carry-on gear bag recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for a good carry-on gear bag, one that can hold a BC, reg, mask, snorkel, and a small amount of clothing. The important thing is that it must be low-profile and truly be carry-on sized - I don't want any issues with the airlines. My BC is fairly low profile (Seaquest Balance), so it won't take up too much space. I like some of the eagle creek stuff, especially their hybrid backpack/wheelie bags, but not a fan of their prices.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Not trying to be negative here, but I don't think you can get a carry on that will do that.

Tom

Oceanic ATpak is what you are looking for. It is a roller back pack that I've used to take my mask, reg, back up lights, DSS Single Tank rig BPW, 3 mil suit, weight belt(no weights of course), and my Hollis fins strapped to the outside. It is designed to fit in the overhead. And guess what? IT DOES! I've taken mine to California, Florida, and Bonaire with no issues. Go to Oceanic's website and look it up. SRP is around 95 bucks but you should be able to get it for less from a dealer. The only wrinkle might be how small does the Balance fold up? I'm not familiar with it. Just remember whe nyou load it and carry it one don't act like it's heavy and don't let a stew stow it. Put it up there yourself. Mine loaded weighs upwards of 30-35 lbs but I act like it weighs half that and nobody raises a fuss.

I'm looking for a good carry-on gear bag, one that can hold a BC, reg, mask, snorkel, and a small amount of clothing. The important thing is that it must be low-profile and truly be carry-on sized - I don't want any issues with the airlines. My BC is fairly low profile (Seaquest Balance), so it won't take up too much space. I like some of the eagle creek stuff, especially their hybrid backpack/wheelie bags, but not a fan of their prices.

I would get a regular rolling carry-on piece of luggage.

I fit the following in one of these

BC (Aeris ATMOS XT - Large)
Regulator
Dive Computer
Mask
UK SunLight SL4 eLED dive light & Batteries
Passport
Airline Tickets
"C" Card & Other documents
Retractors & other small gear

Getting the regular rolling suitcase designed to meet airline carry-on regulations will probably save you money over one from a dive equipment manufacturer.

I have used this for trips to Bermuda, Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, Hawaii, Dominica & Puerto Rico.

This summer my wife, daughter and I will each have one of these for our trip to the Big Island. Each carry-on will contain the same type of equipment for each of us.

I'm a big fan of Tom Bihn bags, but they don't have wheels. I have an Aeronaut, and I normally carry a week's clothing (I pack light), my regs (in a reg bag), mask, shoes, book, and toiletries. The Aeronaut is "maximum carry-on" sized, and its soft-sided, so it will scrunch into a tight space if needed. It also has concealed backback straps if you need them (I actually use them quite a bit).

The Aeronaut Maximum Carry-On Travel Bag by: TOM BIHN

P.S. unless you have an ultralight travel BC, you probably won't be able to fit it inside a carry-on.

I use the pelican 1510 case and you can get one through our dive shop for $117 before shipping to you. 1510 Case Model: 1510

$117(USD)

Click to Enlarge
  • Watertight, crushproof, and dust proof
  • Retractable extension handle
  • Strong polyurethane wheels with stainless steel bearings
  • Easy open Double Throw latches
  • Open cell core with solid wall design - strong, light weight
  • O-ring seal
  • Automatic Pressure Equalization Valve
  • Comfortable rubber over-molded top and side handles
  • Stainless steel hardware and padlock protectors
  • Pick 'N' Pluck® with convoluted lid foam
  • Personalized nameplate service available
  • Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee of Excellence
  • FAA maximum carry on size
Interior Length: 19.7 in
Interior Width: 11 in
Interior Height: 7.6 in

Exterior Length: 22 in
Exterior Width: 13 in
Exterior Height: 9 in

Weight: 13.6 lb

I use the pelican 1510 case and you can get one through our dive shop for $117 before shipping to you.

Looks like a great case. The only drawback is if you are flying on a small plane, the case won't smoosh down to fit under a seat or in a small overhead.

We use the LL Bean medium duffel bag and have been real happy with it.

Adventure Duffle: Duffles and Gear Bags at L.L.Bean

You'll have to check the size and see if your BC will fit but it's as big as you can get and still be legal for a carry-on. Very heavy duty for the price and you can even have your monogram added. We carry everything but our BC's in it. Regs, mask, SS1, camera with uw housing, toiletries, clothes for week aboard liveaboard, books, glasses and other small assorted items. Nice shoulder strap with it too.

Check out the "Aeris Nomad Carry-On Roller Backpack Bag", at LP, $89.00 and free shipping. Same as the Oceanic ATPAK, just the Aeris version, only difference is name and color. I've carried on my whole kit with no issues from the airlines.

Carefull as the airlines are changing their allowances. EVA has limited economy class to one carry-on bag weighing no more than 10k or 22lbs and nothing under the seat. They have also limited check on to no more than 20-50 lbs pieces. It seems most of the US airlines don't care how much carry-on weighs as long as you can heft it up above.

Another caution if you travel internationally is when travelling domestic within another country that all bets are off and you will probably have to pay by the kilo over whatever their base rate is for check-on.

I have been using LL Bean large rolling duffle with success but am looking at paring down as much as possible to avoid more fees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom