Looking for Cabo shore dive recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kramynot2000

Reaction score
I'm heading off to Cabo next week and am looking to do some diving. I already plan on heading out to the park (Cabo Pulmo?) on a boat trip but I can't shell out that kind of money all week. So, does anyone have any shore dive recommendations? I'll have a rental car so transportation to the site won't be a problem.

Thanks,

Not much shore diving in Cabo. Plenty of skin diving though. We went to Cabo the first week of January. We dove Neptunes finger and Pelican rock from a boat ($60 for 2 tank dive) Senior Diver. Cabo Pulmo is pretty much all boat diving.

The great skin diving was at Santa Maria and Chilleno beach. Not really deep (10-20 ft) enough to really make your moneys worth renting scuba gear.

Good Luck and have fun!

In reading about Cabo, it looks like the water will be in the high 60's right now. What do you wear for that, 3 or 5 mm wetsuit?

would appreciate your review of operators and sites. I have been down there a bunch of times, but I was not diving then. Headed down in May and looking for advice. thanks

Just got back from Cabo 2 days ago.
Computer has the temp at 23C, but comfort was best in a 3mm plus shorty.
Decent vis around Cabo San Lucas (Pelican rock and out past Lover's Beach at the sea lions)
Did have a good time snorkling at St maria, except for tour boats, better still at Chileno.
Dive guide (Manta) suggested we might be able to see a white tip shark off of Pelican rock - we did not but such is diving.

Enjoy you trip.

Los Cabos is not an area known for its shore diving. If you are concerned about costs, shop the ops for a discounts on a multi-day dive package & bargain hard. The Baja California is still Mexico.

As for thermal protection, it's somewhat idiosyncratic.

To put it in perspective, below is a piece, in part, from my June '00 "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts & T-shirts to full coats with hats & scarves, all apparently in comfort? Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age & tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask "What wetsuit should I wear?, you'll get answers ranging all the way from "just a bathing suit" through "5 mm full."

The question is better asked: "What water temps can I anticipate at my destination?" You'll receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal thermal comfort needs.

It's always a good idea to come thermally prepared, just in case."

That having been said, multiple sources have been reporting Los Cabos water temps of 72 degrees plus/minus a degree. Personally, if was doing multiple dives over multiple days at that temp, I'd take a 5mm full & beanie.

You're going to have such a good time.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom