Looking for buying help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsltr

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First of all, this is my first post outside of hello... how exciting. I am a noob, both to this forum obviously and to diving... well to actually diving. I have been certified for about 7 years now, and just decided that we need to get into it.

My question has probably been answered, but I couldn't find it directly in a search. I know this is likely to get a ton of conversation, which clearly has already happened, but not exactly what I am looking for. And I will be as specific as possible.

My question concerns Leisure Pro. I am looking to get gear and like everyone, I like to research on the net, and of course I came across the very attractive pricing on LP. And I'm sure like everyone else, I have heard the horror stories of people getting screwed by them, and warranty issues, etc... mostly from my LDS when I asked about the massive price discrepency. I understand the ins and outs of volume purchasing, lots of sales and all that. I also looked into the brand that I was most interesdsted in and found that LP was an authorized dealer for them. I found out by checking their website and calling that manufacturer to ask, and they said yes. This brings me ultimately, and finally, if you hate to read, to my question - Has anyone ever bought equipment from LP for which they are authorized dealers, and needed warranty issues addressed? I want to know if there were problems, or no problems at all with getting service for your gear?

I understand that some people don't like LP, some think they are great and probably a bunch of us in between. My stance is that I would prefer to support my LDS, and probably will, but for $6-700 difference for gear, that they are both authorized for, at least warrants a question or 2. I do understand that the LDS is more than just a box mover, which LP might be, so there is more to the sale than just getting your gear.

So if you happened to read this whole thing, thank you. If you have any insight into this situation, thank you too. I look forward to hearing what you have to say, and in learning from this board. It's already been extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Peace.

I have bought equipment from them in which they were not "authorized dealers," whatever that means, and they still took care of issues. The only thing negative about buying from LP is that it may tick off your dive shop owner a little and then you have to listen to it. Leisure Pro is someones LDS that has an aggressive business model, like it's your fault your LDS doesn't. I read it best somewhere on this board once, "diving is my hobby, spending money at my LDS isn't".

If your LDS and LP are both authorized dealers for the gear you want, I suggest you go back to your LDS and give them an opportunity to match the deal (not necessarily the price). I believe you have already gotten to the point where , if you have a bad LDS, they may blackball you and your LP gear. But if it is a good LDS, they should be able to offer a deal of comparable value, not necessarily by matching prices, but by including free or discounted services, rentals, and training that LP can not offer.

awap brings up a very good point. I've benefited from the practice of "deal matching" LP prices at my LDS. Although the LDS could not match the price, the manager was able to throw in enough air fills and discounted classes to make up the difference...and then some. :D

You should also know that LP is not the only online retailer out there. I really like doing business with Divegearexpress.com and Scubatoys.com. In most cases, Scubatoys will price-match LP...and an added bonus is that Scubatoys is an authorized dealer for everything that it sells.

A problem with any hobby is that you can get a better deal on the internet. But when it comes to service, you have to have someone you can go to and talk to. The internet place will not train you, fix your gear, service your gear, or work out issues with gear. A LDS can do that. If you can find a good LDS that can give you a deal that is within shouting distance of Leisurepro, I would suggest that you should consider it.

Thanks for the responses. I do favor my LDS and will probably pay more for the gear I want from them, for all of the above reasons. I am wondering if anyone has had interaction/problems/successes with dealing with service issues with the manufacturer after buying from LP?

I realize that a friend in your LDS is a good friend to have, and one I want to make.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom