Looking for Breakfast suggestions in downtown area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If Deb and Dave are in agreement, I'm convinced, go there! Depending on what end of downtown you are at and if you have to eat early enough to catch a dive boat, I'd also try Del Museo and Corazon Contento. Casa Mexicana is a great buffet, didn't know they were available if you aren't staying at one of their connected hotels, but it would be worth a stop.

We finally tried Jeanne's a couple of months ago for breakfast and really liked it--we had a nice table outside overlooking the water, where we could watch the guys go about their morning activities (setting up for snuba, I think). And they had huevos motelenos on the menu, which made me very happy. It was one of our most pleasant moments of down time that week. Also, we left stuffed.

Another vote for La Cozumeleña and La Candela. Both have great Mexican breakfasts. La Cozumeleña has the added bonus of good cafe de olla.

Also have a look at my breakfast restaurant guide.

Thanks I did take a look at your guide a while back, good information.
La Cozumelena looks like it is a bakery and offers a few other items. Will use this place often.
One thing I had read about La Candela is that you might want to review your bill as "mistakes" happen.

La Cozumelena looks like it is a bakery and offers a few other items.

It's a bakery and coffee shop, with way more than a few other items. Full breakfasts, crepes, fruit plates, eggs, chilaquiles, molletes, shrimp tortas (yes, for breakfast), chicken enchiladas (yes, for breakfast), smoothies, and on and on. That's just for breakfast. They're now open until 5 and have an entire (very good) lunch menu. La Cozumeleña is my son's girlfriend's favorite restaurant of any type on the planet. I wouldn't go that far, but I quite like it.

One thing I had read about La Candela is that you might want to review your bill as "mistakes" happen.

I've not only never read that, but I've never had any issues with the bill and we go there a lot. La Candela, despite its location near downtown tourist areas, caters primarily to locals. They can't afford to develop a bad reputation.

It's a bakery and coffee shop, with way more than a few other items. Full breakfasts, crepes, fruit plates, eggs, chilaquiles, molletes, shrimp tortas (yes, for breakfast), chicken enchiladas (yes, for breakfast), smoothies, and on and on. That's just for breakfast. They're now open until 5 and have an entire (very good) lunch menu. La Cozumeleña is my son's girlfriend's favorite restaurant of any type on the planet. I wouldn't go that far, but I quite like it.

Thanks.
Sounds like this will be one of the main places.

Having stayed for a week at Casa Mexicana in July 2011, I was not terribly impressed with the Breakfast Buffet. It was plenty to eat and filling, but I wouldn't rate the quality as high, definitely not worth $12 if you aren't staying there. I'm usually diving while in Coz, so I'm usually looking for quick light breakfasts, except on rare off days. When I have time for breakfast, Museo is my favorite downtown location, though I admit I haven't been there in a few years. I know this is not going to be a popular choice on this board, but I enjoy sitting right on the street at Palmeras - that touristy place right across from the Ferry Pier - having Chilaquiles with Salsa Verde and a fried egg on top. The chilaquiles are good, the salsa verde is very good, and they do have fresh-squeezed OJ. The coffee is mediocre at best, but that's the norm in Cozumel with rare exceptions like Rock 'N Java. I haven't tried La Cozumelena, but if it has good Chilaquiles, I'll need to put that on my list. For quick, cheap breakfast, try grabbing some pastries at Zermatt Bakery, on 5th Ave. about 2 blocks north of the Plaza.

Since Bucanos is too far (too bad) There's a coffee shop place on 3rd? behind Pizza Hut. Cheap, decent bfast. I just heard someone else recommend it on the Cozumel Facebook. However, I'd start with Dave's suggestion. I'm thinking he's been to a few places over the years, probably knows what he's talking about :)

We stayed at the Casa Mexicana for our last trip during Carnival last month. Our "regular" hotel, Hotel Cozumel and Resort, was full, so having stayed at Casa Mexicana previously during Carnival and with it having a street balcony over the parade route, we booked it. We only ate breakfast there 1 day because it was not quite "up to par". Hotel Cozumel and Resort breakfast beats it hands down (in our opinion). Berta the omelet lady at HCR makes the best omelets, eggs over easy, and chilaquiles plus she always remembers us and what we like to eat.

That being said, even though the breakfast was included in our stay, we ate breakfast the rest of the trip at other places. La Cozumelena was very good, and we always have to do Primas (great breakfast and killer view), and of course Zermatt's bakery is great for coffee and fresh pastries.

Other places we frequent for breakfast that we think are good are Costa Brava (been doing that since 1980's when they had the 99 cent "divers breakfast" and still on Melgar). Jeanie's is a must do, especially during Independence Day Parade, Rockin Java, and Blue Angel.

The Parrilla Mission on 30th used to have a great breakfast but I understand they no longer offer it. We will have to try La Choza for breakfast after reading all the rave reviews.

Well crap....now I'm hungry, so we just booked a May trip to try some more! :banana: I think we heard that Casa Denis serves breakfast and we will find out in May.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom