Question Looking for BP/W suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishlock

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello,

I am a very experienced diver (I stopped counting a long time ago when I hit 1,000 dives and have no idea how far beyond that I am) who has been away from the sport for too long due to kids, career, finances, and having moved 2000 miles away from anywhere I would consider diving. I am finally in a position to get back into the water. Unfortunately, I am not as slim as I used to be and my BCD isn't close to fitting :-( On the bright side, it is a great excuse for new gear!

My previous kit was a simple jacket style BCD without any bells and whistles, just a manual inflator, 2 small pockets in the front, and 4 D rings. I didn't wear a weight belt or any ditchable weight. I just wore 2 x 2lb weights on the tank cam band. The BCD was really just a thing to keep the tank in place. I can't remember the last time I put air in the BCD for any reason other than trying to haul back an anchor after forgetting to bring a salvage lift bag.

I think a backplate/wing setup would be a great fit for my diving style, but I am overwhelmed with the options I see online. I'm hoping you all can make some suggestions.

I am leaning toward a backplate setup for 4 main reasons.

1 - I like to keep my gear to a minimum and that seems to be the most minimalistic setup.
2 - I like the idea of having the option of leaving the wing on the boat when I know I'm not going to need it.
3 - due to the weight I have gained, I assume 4lbs isn't going to cut it any more. I am hoping that a SS backplate and weighted STA will help me avoid needing too much weight on a belt.
4 - It seems more like a one size fits all. If my body shape continues to morph over time, I won't end up where I am now with a jacket that is too small (or too big - fingers crossed the ozempic works)

Some other thoughts.

- I'm not overly concerned about the budget. I don't want to spend more just for the sake of spending, but in my initial research I haven't come across anything with a price I would view as a deal breaker.

- I only dive in warm water. I usually stay in the shallows, but I occasionally wander off into the depths.

- A well designed option for padding on the backplate and straps is a must. I usually just wear a speedo style swimsuit and I am concerned about chafing from the backplate and harness. I may not need it, I won't know that until I have already flown halfway around the world to a location that probably doesn't have Amazon Prime same day delivery. I would rather buy some parts I don't need than spend a week feeling uncomfortable.

- I want to try out a hogarthian harness, but I suspect I will end up preferring an H style harness with quick-release clips most of the time. I often dive from small boats where you have to toss the gear overboard and then quickly install it in the water before you float away, and then take it off before doing a pull-up over the gunnel to get back onboard.

- Comfort and convenience is much more important than reliability or minimizing failure points. I do not dive in situations where a broken BCD strap or buckle would be more than a minor inconvenience.

- I really like my pockets. I see plenty of options for adding pockets to backplate setups. I will want some. In addition to my safety gear, I like to pack a snack. Having a banana or orange to eat during the safety (or deco) stop encourages me to hang around a bit longer for an extra margin of safety.

- I know all the rules (lots of certs, for a while I worked as a divemaster) but don't like following them. I usually dive from shore or a private boat to avoid having to deal with a disapproving divemaster/captain, but for the times when I can't avoid diving from a public boat I would prefer kit that has a "you can leave me alone" appearance.

So....any suggestions for products that I should make sure I consider?

Thanks,

A few thoughts

Do you want minimalist or not? You say that you do, but then you want padding and pockets and maybe a comfort harness. I'd suggest starting with minimalist and then adding stuff if you decide you really need it. For example, I have maybe 100 dives with an unpadded backplate and no wetsuit and have never felt the need for back or shoulder strap padding. I started with a "comfort" harness which wasn't because the chest strap attachment hardware dug into my chest and arms when diving shirtless. After I switched I found the Hogarthian harness to be a lot more comfortable. Two inch webbing really spreads the load out. I also don't have any problem taking the rig off in the water.

Pockets - A lot of stuff can be clipped off, but probably not a banana. Many people use suits or dive shorts with big pockets, but if you really want to dive in a speedo, you are going to have to hang pockets off your waist belt.

Ballast - Switching from a BCD to a standard SS plate will drop your need for lead by 5-7 pounds. If you want any ditchable weight, you don't want a weighted STA. Even if you are OK with all your weight being non-ditchable, you get more flexibility from putting trim pockets on your tank straps since you can load anywhere from 0-5 pounds per pocket. FWIW, I use a SS plate with no STA and a pair of small trim pockets on the waist band. Depending on the tank type and whether I'm wearing a wetsuit I'll have between 0 and 4 pounds of lead in each pocket,

Going wingless - If you get a small wing, you aren't going to notice it. Just leave it empty and pretend it isn't there. It's an annoyance to take it off and put it back on and there's always a chance you'll find a use for some lift during the dive.

Rules - No one is going to give you flack anymore if you dive a BP/W. You may get some friendly questions about it from other divers, but that's about it. However, many ops won't let you on the boat if you don't have any wing at all. Always a good idea to ask in advance.

No guy should ever dive in a speedo! ( I joke, I joke….but really)

On that note, I have some Apex Tek shorts that I love. They have several pockets with D-rings, and are very adjustable in case your waistline changes from one month to the next.

I love my stainless steel backplate and wing. I swapped out the metal wing nuts with some delrin nuts because the metal ones scuffed the skin on my back. I usually just wear a rashguard as a shirt.

I like the idea of having the option of leaving the wing on the boat when I know I'm not going to need it
While you certainly *can* compensate with your lungs for the weight of the gas you haven't yet breathed from an AL80, the likely CO2 retention would cause you to use your gas faster == shorter dives when not limited by NDL. Your call, of course, if not required by the dive organizer.

Based on the criteria you've laid out, you've described my setup. No I am not a representative for DiveRite.

+ SS XT Lite Backplate - I almost exclusively dive warm water; with this plate I do not need any lead.
+ TransPlate Harness - I like the adjustability based on whether I'm wearing a wetsuit or t-shirt
+ BC5100 Wing - not easily removable (maybe the only point this setup misses for you), but bulletproof
+ BC1037 Pad - puts a comfortable pad between you and the plate

OR
+ T3350 - TransPac XT Harness - gets rid of the metal backplate (my wife has this and LOVES it)

A lot of stuff can be clipped off, but probably not a banana. Many people use suits or dive shorts with big pockets, but if you really want to dive in a speedo, you are going to have to hang pockets off your waist belt.
I mean, come on, obviously you'd stuff the banana into the speedos...

I mean, come on, obviously you'd stuff the banana into the speedos...
Brilliant. A pair of oranges as well. Might have to switch to mandarins or people will think you are Fred Dibnah.

I think a backplate/wing setup would be a great fit for my diving style, but I am overwhelmed with the options I see online. I'm hoping you all can make some suggestions.

I am leaning toward a backplate setup for 4 main reasons.

1 - I like to keep my gear to a minimum and that seems to be the most minimalistic setup.
2 - I like the idea of having the option of leaving the wing on the boat when I know I'm not going to need it.
3 - due to the weight I have gained, I assume 4lbs isn't going to cut it any more. I am hoping that a SS backplate and weighted STA will help me avoid needing too much weight on a belt.

- A well designed option for padding on the backplate and straps is a must. I usually just wear a speedo style swimsuit and I am concerned about chafing from the backplate and harness.

- I want to try out a hogarthian harness, but I suspect I will end up preferring an H style harness with quick-release clips most of the time. I often dive from small boats where you have to toss the gear overboard and then quickly install it in the water before you float away, and then take it off before doing a pull-up over the gunnel to get back onboard.

- Comfort and convenience is much more important than reliability or minimizing failure points. I do not dive in situations where a broken BCD strap or buckle would be more than a minor inconvenience.

So....any suggestions for products that I should make sure I consider?

Thanks,
You should look at the Sub Gravity BP/W system. You get a choice of 3 stainless steel & 2 aluminum backplates, 4 wing sizes, 2 harness styles and 3 weight pocket sizes. Their wings don't require a STA.
In addition to the standard SS 3mm backplate, they have a 6mm SS backplate that weighs 10.1 lbs. and they have trim weights that attach to the backplate.
Their BP/W system comes with a back pad and shoulder harness pads are available.
Their adjustable harness is clean, simple and no plastic parts to break.

I have their 3mm aluminum BP, 26 lb wing, adjustable harness and drop down small weight pockets for my travel BP/W and really like it, I love the adjustable harness.

While you certainly *can* compensate with your lungs for the weight of the gas you haven't yet breathed from an AL80, the likely CO2 retention would cause you to use your gas faster == shorter dives when not limited by NDL. Your call, of course, if not required by the dive organizer.
Air consumption isn't an issue. In shallow water I get at least 90 minutes on a tank. That is plenty IMO. I do get CO2 headaches when I dive nitrox though. I never connected it to my tendency to leave my BC empty. Thanks for the tip.

A few thoughts

Do you want minimalist or not? You say that you do, but then you want padding and pockets and maybe a comfort harness.
If a few mm of padding on the plate makes me not a minimalist, then I guess I am not. Pockets, I don't know. It never felt like they took up any space on the jacket. If they add a bunch of bulk to a harness I would find that annoying.

I'm not overly concerned about the budget.
1722559110850.png
'Never seen a bad review of Halcyon, just gripes about price. Has the padding to pimp it out. Make certain to get Traveler wing with webbing slots, so that you can use without Single Tank Adapter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom