Looking for boat advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave in PA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking to buy a boat in a year or two. I would like some suggestions from folks with experience. The boat I am looking for will be able to go off shore, obviously. Have a cabin for overnighting in comfort. I am looking for something in the 21 - 24 foot range with 100 gallons minimum fuel tank. Towing weight needs to be kept under 5000 lbs. Boats I have looked at include Baha 240WA, Key West 220WA, Parker 21' sport cabin or walk around. Obviously I am looking at walk arounds as opposed to CC or DCs. I think I am leaning towards outboard motor, but am not committed to it. I prefer a full transom, too. It should be able to handle 4 divers/fishermen comfortably.

something in the 21 - 24 foot range with 100 gallons minimum fuel tank. Towing weight needs to be kept under 5000 lbs.
Ya, had me right up until the gross tow weight. Good luck, you are talking about a boat with around 3,000lb of dry weight. Maybe a small runabout with an outboard.

Ya, had me right up until the gross tow weight. Good luck, you are talking about a boat with around 3,000lb of dry weight. Maybe a small runabout with an outboard.

I have no plan on towing a boat with a full tank of fuel on board. The sizes and makes I've looked at all should come in under 5k. For instance:

the Parker 2120 sport cabin is 3250 dry, but I think their 2310 Walkaround may be pushing the limit for me at 3700 lbs.

Key West has a 2020 WA at ~2000 lbs, and a 225 WA at ~2700. They also have a 211 WA in between those weights, but that's a new hull and isn't even in the catalog yet.

Baha's smallest boat the 240 WAC shows a weight of 3500 with a 5.0 I/O. I wasn't looking at one quite that big due to the weight, but I think it would still be under the 5000 lb target.

With a heavier boat an aluminum trailer will probably be required to meet weight requirements.....likewise not towing 800 lbs of fuel down the road.

Not sure why you would want a 100 gallon fuel capacity then not fill it while on the trailer. Cost of fuel on the water is at least 25% higher. Plus it is more likely to have water in it. What happens when you fill up, then go out for a couple of hours? You might not burn enough fuel to shave off more than 50 lbs. Fuel tanks should ALWAYS be stored full on anything that is not used daily.

Aluminum trailers are really nice for multiple reasons. They also cost 1/3+ more. Might be a good idea to ask what the trailer weights will be to get an idea. The dealerships are there to assist you in your decision making process. There is a point at which you are better off just upgrading your tow vehicle, or storing the boat by the water, and utilizing a launch service. Vehicles with V-8's are gonna get cheap this summer when fuel prices are high.

What do you plan to tow your future boat with? One nice thing about Florida is the land is flat flat flat.

I've got a Jeep Cherokee right now that is set up to pull 5000lbs without issue I know it could pull 2000 more for short trips in a pinch. I live about 30 miles from a salt water launch, but want to be able to tow the boat south (up to 300 miles) and hit Bahamas and keys. I live 5 miles from fresh water launch too. My diving would primarily be concentrated off NE Florida. I can gas up on the trailer a mile or three from the ramp if need be, instead of at a marina.

What I seem to have found so far are that fishing boats seem to be built with lighter hulls than pleasure boats and the fishing boats also seem to be better designed towards dive gear. If not for wanting a small cabin to over night in or at least get out of weather, a center console or dual console would give more room for less weight (and less money)

If I had my druthers, I'd have an F350 tow vehicle and and 30' boat, but that's a little more than I am looking to spend.

Can't go wrong with the Parker. Built close to where I live. It was developed and has proven itself for offshore conditions here off Cape Lookout. Its popularity in the northwest gives you another hint.

I plan on stopping by Parker of Daytona monday on the way back from a quick Bahamas weekend...on board a much bigger boat!

I plan on stopping by Parker of Daytona monday on the way back from a quick Bahamas weekend...on board a much bigger boat!

Are you cruising with Disney or Carnaval? Did the Bahama Disney trip in Jan.

Cruised with Royal Carribean. The only lousy thing about the trip is the Dive Op cancelled the trip due to lack of participants. I'm glad I didn't schlep my gear aboard, I wouldn't have been happy.

I also stopped by Parker Boats of Daytona and checked out the 23' sport cabin. There is a TON of room on board, and it checks in right about 5000 lbs with trailer, equipped with the 250 hp OB. It looks like I have found my dive boat, although with the price, I may have to put the purchase off an extra year. There is only a 5k difference between the 21' and the 23' and it's all in cockpit and engine. It comes standard with a full transom, full width swim platform, Armstrong OB mount and dive ladder.

You might also consider some trailer upgrades. The biggest one is to put brakes on BOTH axles. The other thing you might consider is adding rollers to the trailer instead of bunks so it can be winched on and off the trailer, keeping the trailer and truck out of the salt water. You probably don't have the surge issues we have here with slippery ramps, but I would imagine many are shallow ramps that require backing down fairly far.

Electronics are very expensive, but can be added as you go. If doing a loan though I would just lump them in. Side scan sonar would be nice! So would a small kicker motor.

Are you set on new or would you consider used?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom