Looking for best dive light use ......***

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otherwise an Oxycheq Raider light might work.< "That's not a light"

I was not at all satisfied with the Oxycheq Raider light. Just one point of reference.

Henrik

I was not at all satisfied with the Oxycheq Raider light. Just one point of reference.

Henrik

Add me to that list ... worst scuba equipment purchase ever ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As much as it pains me to say it (because it was by far and away the nicest hand-held light I've ever seen) the Raider IVs are massively unreliable and a bad purchase.

With a $200 budget, and given that you want to use the light in low viz and murk, I'd haunt eBay and the TDS website and see if you can pick up a couple of old halogen Scout lights inexpensively. I'd then purchase a UK SL4 eLED light and put the light module in the Scout (you have to reverse the polarity on the batteries). This results in a very bright, focused beam -- it's a good light.

If you aren't worried about having a switch fail, you could just buy the SL4.

As much as it pains me to say it (because it was by far and away the nicest hand-held light I've ever seen) the Raider IVs are massively unreliable and a bad purchase.

With a $200 budget, and given that you want to use the light in low viz and murk, I'd haunt eBay and the TDS website and see if you can pick up a couple of old halogen Scout lights inexpensively. I'd then purchase a UK SL4 eLED light and put the light module in the Scout (you have to reverse the polarity on the batteries). This results in a very bright, focused beam -- it's a good light.

If you aren't worried about having a switch fail, you could just buy the SL4.

...unfortunately I concur with the consensus here...bought a Raider III and a Raider I, with light socks......and while the light socks are a brilliant idea, and the Raider III looks very sporty, slick, easy to stow/deploy and has lots of neat/innovative features, mine flooded a year ago on my first dive trip with it......I've been diving 8 years now and had NEVER before flooded a dive light, so I'm highly confident it wasn't user error/damage.....my max depth was 150 ft....so needless to say, I never replaced it, and am now planning to buy some MbSub (German) lights spring 2010......I really wanted to like the Oxycheq light...so it's a shame I now feel this way about the Oxycheq lights........that being said, I'm very impressed with several other Oxycheq products...especially their EXTREME wings (I own 3 of those) !

I'm curious as to how many with 21W Salvo's have had a flood or any other problem that required sending it back to the company?

I understand they have/had great customer service and made a great product but how many have never had a problem at all with their light?

This comment has nothing to do with the poor quality of the Raiders or by way of comparison by the way.

Without question the lowest cost for highest beam penetration in murky water is the Darkbuster 24 watt HID for around 480 bucks. @ 1759 lumens, its brighter than a 21 watt HID for 1200 bucks - do the math. Cons? It just aint a canister, so for a almost a grand in savings, I made a goodman handle for mine.
Scubatoys is out of stock on it right now, but www.Scuba.com has them.
Brightstar-Darkbuster-HID-Rechargeable-Torch.jpg

....With a $200 budget, and given that you want to use the light in low viz and murk, I'd haunt eBay and the TDS website and see if you can pick up a couple of old halogen Scout lights inexpensively. I'd then purchase a UK SL4 eLED light and put the light module in the Scout (you have to reverse the polarity on the batteries). This results in a very bright, focused beam -- it's a good light....

I use a halogen Scout as my only light. I've bumped up the output by installing 2 AAA battery holders (each holds 3 AAA). It puts out a lot more light, but I know I'm still being limited by the bulb. I'm finding it hard to drop the $120+ on a Halcyon LED kit. Is the SL4 head just a drop-in "plug-n-play" with the Scout or is there other modifications that need to be done? As for my battery set-up, the burn time has not seemed to be dimished. Had 3 1 hour dives on the first set of C batteries and just finished a 3rd dive on this set-up with no problems so far. If I can pair the extra power with a stronger bulb (led) that should prove to be a nice reliable light.

I'm curious as to how many with 21W Salvo's have had a flood or any other problem that required sending it back to the company?

I understand they have/had great customer service and made a great product but how many have never had a problem at all with their light?

This comment has nothing to do with the poor quality of the Raiders or by way of comparison by the way.

I bought mine used, personally I've put around 150 dives on it without a problem. I think you can send them to Light Monkey now too if you do have a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom