Looking for best area to stay in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmarrash

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

My wife and I are looking to go to Maui in November and wanted recommendations of which part of the island to stay on to get in some Scuba diving. We would probably want to get about 8 dives in during a 1 week trip. We just got back from Honduras so was looking for a quick trip to Maui. We are new divers and the type of diving would be the 40-80ft type (no 140ft dives for us thank you very much :D). We are AOW/EANx certified with about 23 dives.

If you have any recommendation on a decent hotel (i'll do some research in this forum and trip advisor as well when I get a chance) that would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Russell

Best bet would probably be to look in the Kihei area. Good choice of dive sites and most of the dive boats on the island go out of the Kihei boat ramp. If you're looking for a highly recommended and touted dive guide, contact Shaka Doug.

For a place to stay I would recommend the pineapple inn maui, pineappleinnmaui.com, in Maui meadows. It has great rooms reasonable rates and is close to the south side dive sites.

There are two main tourist hotel areas --- Kaanapali in West Maui and Wailea in S. Maui.

Lower cost condos abound in both Kihei (S. Maui, adjacent to Wailea) and in the smaller towns just north of Kaanapali.

Wailea has an abundance of resort class hotels and golf courses, but not much else. The main Kaanapali resort area is a 1 mile strip of beach lined with hotels with a shopping mall and restaurants in the middle. This is my recommendation for 1st time visitors to Maui. Kaanapali is about 10 minutes north of Lahaina which is an interesting town to stroll through looking at, depending upon your preferences, the t-shirt shops or the many art galleries.

Kihei is a more or less typical American town complete with fast food and strip malls. It is spread out oceanside for several miles long and a few blocks wide.

There's good scuba diving in both West Maui and S. Maui. If staying in West Maui, then my recommendation is Extended Horizons trips to Lanai. If staying in South Maui, there are many companies that depart the Kihei boat ramp (near the Kihei/Wailea border) to Molokini. There is also good shore diving in both West and South Maui.

Charlie Allen

Thanks Charlie, good info. I have been doing a lot of research this evening. I hate researching because I want perfection at a reasonable price :) I spent probably 40+ hours researching our recent Honduras trip (my wife says I am too Anal :D )

Your comment about Wailea is exactly what my coworker told me as well. I think for this trip we want to be in a busier area such as Kaanapali (Google Earth is my friend although the Molokini land mass does not show up) but now the trick is finding a place to stay that wont be too expensive and is relatively nice. I did send an email pinnapleinn as well.

Regardless of where I stay, I still may dive with Shaka Doug or someone else that frequents this site as I like to support the folks that support the community. I still need to research that piece of the trip as well :)

Thanks
Russell

The least expensive in the main Kaanapali resort is probably The Whaler condos.

Shaka Doug mostly dives in South Maui. It might work out for you to take a morning boat from Kihei out to Molokini and then hook up with Shaka Doug for afternoon and/or night dives. If you want to go shore diving by yourself, Ulua is an excellent spot to start. Easy navigation, easy entry. My favorite spot.

Funny Charlie, My researching was narrowing down on the Whaler :)

To be honest, I am not sure my wife and I are ready for solo Shore Diving though I sure would like to try it. Our Navigation skills still need lots of practice.

I was thinking since we are going to rent a car we could drive down to the other docks but really have no idea yet. Once I nail down a place to stay and get my plane tickets, then I can do more research on the diving.

Puddle Pirate: The PinnapleInn is booked for the first half so can't stay there but thank you for the advice, it looked like a nice place at a reasonable price.

Russell

I love the Mana Kai on Keawakapu beach. Good snorkeling on your doorstep, next door to the Kihei boat ramp where many of the island favorite operations leave from (B&H, Mike Severens etc etc)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom