Looking for an operator that caters to divers, not just tourists who dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hired Muscle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are giving Coz another chance in August. On our last trip, the operator we used was more concerned with telling jokes to the vacationers than taking care of the real divers in the group. We are easy going and have a sense of humor, but we will trade a few laughs for good information and better dive sites everyday of the week.

All recommendations and warnings will be greatly appreciated.

Were you a cruise ship passenger? Very few dive ops I've dove with fit that description, if any. Even the in house ops at the southern AI's get better press than that. You must have really got short changed, or are hard to please since any dive in Cozumel is usually considered a good dive unless someone's an air hog & everyone goes up when the first diver signals low on air.

As a dive guide,I would rent a car & drive south to Xcalak. Dive with XTC & enjoy the best diving in Mexico plus go dive Banco Chinchorro or you can boat over to Ambergrise Caye,Belize for the afternoon. Coz is just what it is......IMPO. Dive safe,Have fun!

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

We are giving Coz another chance in August. On our last trip, the operator we used was more concerned with telling jokes to the vacationers than taking care of the real divers in the group. We are easy going and have a sense of humor, but we will trade a few laughs for good information and better dive sites everyday of the week.

All recommendations and warnings will be greatly appreciated.
Why do "real divers" need to be taken care of?

Thanks to all! We were in Cancun for a wedding, and we had to make the best of the time available. We just booked a trip through our hotel, and we ended up on a party barge with what felt like half the island.

It is very easy to read something into a post that does not exist if you want to be critical. Some of the best people I have met have been on dive boats. It must be the impersonal nature of the Internet that makes this experience different.

Of course, any other suggestions about operators are appreciated. Thanks to all.

read Post # 3.

Type in the name given in the search box.

If you feel you need to go further after what you read then search for Blue XT Sea, still not enough, do a search for Living Underwater. There are others too. Cozumel has a lot of very good dive ops. However, if your wallet influences your dive op choice, you're wasting your time with this pursuit. Be prepared to pay more for quality.

Thanks to all! We were in Cancun for a wedding, and we had to make the best of the time available. We just booked a trip through our hotel, and we ended up on a party barge with what felt like half the island.

It is very easy to read something into a post that does not exist if you want to be critical. Some of the best people I have met have been on dive boats. It must be the impersonal nature of the Internet that makes this experience different.

Of course, any other suggestions about operators are appreciated. Thanks to all.
I tried to warn you on the August thread. :shakehead:

The majority of the Ops on Coz will fit your request easily enough. I don't know who you got stuck with before but with the Cancun to PDC to Coz trip you had to do, I guess you got on a late boat that mixes whomever they can get.

There is a lot more to picking an Op than your requirements...
Do you like a large, roomy boat with a head, even if it's a little slower?

Do you like a small, fast pango with just the basics?

Do you want one that will rinse and store your gear for you?

Do you want one with a shop at your hotel, or want to be picked up south, or north?​
And so forth...

Now some of our members will suggest their favorite Ops, often for no particular reason, and - you'd probly be fine with any of the suggested.

I've always wanted to know what the difference was between a 'Real' diver & a tourist who dives......please explain. I'd like to know which group I fall in , so I can book with the right op.

Mike

read Post # 3.

Type in the name given in the search box.

If you feel you need to go further after what you read then search for Blue XT Sea, still not enough, do a search for Living Underwater. There are others too. Cozumel has a lot of very good dive ops. However, if your wallet influences your dive op choice, you're wasting your time with this pursuit. Be prepared to pay more for quality.
Au contraire. There are plenty of dive ops on Cozumel who provide a quality diving experience at an economical price. I don't know who the OP went with or anything about his experience other than the vague criticism he offered, so it's hard to give advice on how to experience something different, but great diving for a low price is not hard to find on Cozumel.

Of course, value is a subjective thing. Features others consider to be worth paying for to some might not be so to others. DSFDF and YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom