Looking for an Engineer in USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read your idea and find one major problem that will need to be solved before any depth can be attained. Your eyes need the air to see correctly, any air pocket will decrease in size and cause eye trauma as you descend requiring equalization. This is normally accomplished with the nose on traditional masks and naturally on full face masks while breathing. If you isolate your eyes from your nose to minimize air in the mask you remove the ability to equalize with your nose. Several companies have minimal air masks available, anything with less air makes fitting multiple face types impossible. I believe what you are attempting is possible, but may have a limited face type that will fit properly.

Hi OP,

Please ignore me if any of this is not news to you, but buoyancy is one of my favorite subjects :)

Your website made me think of one of my favorite movies 'The Big Blue.' In the movie, one of the divers uses a vintage cressi? mask and modifies it (or an insert was available at the time) to reduce the volume of the mask by displacing the air with a more dense material. The purpose for a free diver is to reduce the volume so they can still clear/equalize their mask as the volume of air in their lungs compresses due to depth. This would also accomplish what you're looking for, a smaller buoyant air space on your face.

1707187077349.png

Food for thought?

Another helpful thing for me when thinking about buoyancy is the physics of multi-particle/multi-body systems. If you can break your system into individual bodies and identify their centers (CG, buoyancy, center of pressure etc. because they may not be co-located), you can decouple them and address them individually. For example if you're concerned about mask buoyancy, deal with it as its own system and make it neutral instead of eliminating all air out of it. If the mask has a pound of buoyancy, arrange weight in such a way to counteract the buoyancy through its center(s).

Here's a reasonably good video that illustrates the point.

This is also an excellent video on adjusting buoyancy, this time for a rigid camera and housing with lights.

Ideally you would have your CG and center of buoyancy co-located so that, regardless of orientation, your position is stable. I've only seen this in some bad-ass mexican and floridian cave divers and it's really a sight to see.

-M

This is my own experiences and I want to solve them.

Then why are you asking for help here on the internet?

No body will stop you from reinventing the wheel, but don't be surprised if we all stand by poking about asking among ourselves and occasionally asking you why you are trying to engineer/create things that already exist and are readily available.

Good luck either way.

-Z

Then why are you asking for help here on the internet?

No body will stop you from reinventing the wheel, but don't be surprised if we all stand by poking about asking among ourselves and occasionally asking you why you are trying to engineer/create things that already exist and are readily available.

Good luck either way.

-Z
I'm looking for someone that can create the cad drawing and a 3D model for me.

Back
Top Bottom