Looking for an Engineer in USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My adaptive scuba mask design is like a respirator that covers only the nose and mouth. It will have a removable mouthpiece to where the user can choose between breathing just through their mouths or they can take the mouthpiece out so they can breathe with both their nose and mouth. Also, my adaptive scuba mask design can be used for snorkeling too.

My adaptive scuba mask design is like a respirator that covers only the nose and mouth. It will have a removable mouthpiece to where the user can choose between breathing just through their mouths or they can take the mouthpiece out so they can breathe with both their nose and mouth. Also, my adaptive scuba mask design can be used for snorkeling too.
You seem to have gaps in your understanding of several issues here.

For example, we are confused perhaps because you keep using the term scuba. A scuba mask, whether full face or standard, cannot have an isolated eye section. You have to be able to add air into the eye section to equalize the pressure there as you descend or you will damage the skin around your eyes, distort your vision and in the worst case damage your eyeballs.

If you are only interested in staying within a few feet of the surface, then a separate eye section will work. But then you are not using a scuba mask, you are using a pair of swim goggles.

Please explain in greater detail what you want to do here.

You seem to have gaps in your understanding of several issues here.

For example, we are confused perhaps because you keep using the term scuba. A scuba mask, whether full face or standard, cannot have an isolated eye section. You have to be able to add air into the eye section to equalize the pressure there as you descend or you will damage the skin around your eyes, distort your vision and in the worst case damage your eyeballs.

If you are only interested in staying within a few feet of the surface, then a separate eye section will work. But then you are not using a scuba mask, you are using a pair of swim goggles.

Please explain in greater detail what you want to do here.
We won't be using my dive mask for deep dives. The maximum depth will be just 10 feet (pool dives).

We won't be using my dive mask for deep dives. The maximum depth will be just 10 feet (pool dives).
At 10 feet you definitely need to equalise pressure in the eyes part of the mask.
What is the problem having it connected with the lower part?

At 10 feet you definitely need to equalise pressure in the eyes part of the mask.
What is the problem having it connected with the lower part?
I can add that to the design. I need someone to do the cad work and create a 3D model.

I can add that to the design. I need someone to do the cad work and create a 3D model.
What's wrong with rubber FFM I posted above?
I used one very similar and it was a snug fit. I do not think you can reduce the volume further.

From your web page

"The primary objective is to be able to maintain a horizontal position in the water without any extra equipment such as arm floats, a wetsuit, or flippers.

Current solutions like a full-face dive or snorkel mask have airspace that increases the buoyance of your head but the rest of your body sinks which makes it difficult to be horizontal without equipment that increases the buoyancy of the lower portion of your body. "

It's not the airspace in the mask that causes people to be feet down, that's the normal orientation of the relaxed human body in water. If you want to be horizontal, you either have to use your muscles or some combination of floats and/or weighting.

Perhaps something like this would be helpful to comfortably get weight in the proper position?

It's not the airspace in the mask that causes people to be feet down, that's the normal orientation of the relaxed human body in water. If you want to be horizontal, you either have to use your muscles or some combination of floats and/or weighting.
I want to expand on this. Human tissues other than fat are all negatively buoyant in fresh water. Except for a very obese person, the arms, legs, and head of a fully relaxed or unconscious body will all dangle towards the bottom.

The upper torso is less buoyant because of the gas contained in the lungs. An average person will have between 2 and 13 pounds of positive buoyancy from gas in the lungs depending on how they are breathing and where they are in the breathing cycle.

The negative buoyancy of the lower torso and legs, combined with the positive buoyancy of the upper torso is what causes the mostly vertical orientation of the relaxed body.

The internal volume of a standard full face mask results in about 1 pound of positive buoyancy. It is only a minor factor in the overall picture and it could be easily counteracted by an add on weight or the freediving neck weight mentioned by Professor Farina.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom