Looking for advice for a Cebu Dive Trip in mid June...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nbalsari

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Greetings from a disappointed traveler/diver from Sanya, the diving capital of China in rainy 'tropical' Hainan Island.

I was expecting some good dives here but skipped diving at all, after talking to some local, Japanese and Russian instructors here; the weather and sea conditions are really bad, and diving seems to be only for first-timers with low visibility, ruined shallow corals, almost no fish due to extreme fishing.

Yes, it is not the best time to visit Philippines (rainy season), and I have a relatively short time (only a week between June 19th and 26th), before I fly to Chicago on 27th from Hong Kong. But, I'll be arriving at Cebu, PH to compensate Sanya experience, and get my shorty wet at last, after carrying it in my backpack even on the steps of the Great Wall :)... My flight arrives to Cebu early morning on June 19th from Macao through Manila. I'll be flying out from Manila late evening on 26th to HK. I did not reserve a flight to Manila yet, as I do not know at which island I'll end up on 25th-26th...

I've already read some recommendations here in SB from fellow divers (Thanks!) about the Moalboal-Bohol-Dumaguete, and all other diving regions, but I couldn't decide where to start and finish yet (...or stick with only one...). I've already received a good accommodation rate (1500 PHP ~30 USD) from one of the best resorts in Moalboal, probably due to low-season. But I know nothing about their dive-shop yet...

With 200+ dives and DM training going on, I prefer challenging dives...

Local weather/water condition really counts now, and unbiased* advice from the SB community will be highly appreciated.

As usual, a short report about accommodation, dive-shop, food, staff, and dive sites experiences will be posted here :).

Thanks in advance...

* Local dive operators are welcome to send their comments through PM instead of posting under this thread.

for challenging conditions, you should dive apo island's coconut point and cogon point. or go to pueto galera and do canyons or verde island's washing machine with split fins ;p

Jigo thanks for advice,
:)

Apo island seems to be a preferred location among people. Can I make there from Moalboal? What is the ideal place reach Apo island for a day dive?

Nuri

For a day trip to Apo Island, consider a dive resort in the vicinity of Dumaguete. That would be the next best option besides staying on Apo Island.

Nuri,
Moalboal is a 3+ hour drive north from the Mactan airport on Cebu, plus a ferry ride to the island. Bus is cheaper, takes longer. Transport to and from is almost a day. From Cebu to Dumaguete on Negros can be air or ferry. The ferry will be half a day.

Dumaguete/Dauin are the towns to stay in to take a dive boat to Apo Island. There is also good diving at Alona Beach off of Bohul Island (a ferry ride from Dumaguete).

There is good diving at Puerto Galera and Anilao at the southern end of Luzon (2.5+ hour drive south of Manila). They have some current, some depth, and Anilao in the last month has had several whaleshark sightings as well as eagle rays and mantas.

You probably don't want to chop up your diving with a lot of plane trips, though flights are cheap (~$50 one way). It is generally takes between half a day to a day to get from one island to another. from Moalboal, I would figure a day.

Let people know what you are looking for, there is a lot of expertise on this board.

BTW, sorry for you, but glad to hear about the "Hawaii of China." Good luck.

Thanks all of you who replied to this threat!

I dove Moalboal, Apo Island and Cabilao between June 20th and 25th... Apo was the best of all.

I'll post my other comments later here for other readers.

Back
Top Bottom