Looking for advice before OW cert this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I started diving (also did my OW certs in Key Largo) I had the same concerns - way to much to think about during the descent. Then I remembered my flight training. On the very first landing (done by the instructor of course), I was told to expect a number of things to happen - unfortunately, they all seem to happen at once! As I got better, time seemed to "dilate", and the various tasks "spread out" and became recognizable as separate events. Same thing happens in diving. Expect that various tasks will all seem to blur together at first, but will separate later. Like everyone else said - just relax and follow your instructors instructions.

You said you haven't done your pool sessions yet, so I'll give you some advice that's a bit different from what you've already gotten here, which is good advice, btw. The book or e-learning makes it seem like there is a lot more to remember than there actually is when you start doing it, because they break it down into all the little components. When your instructor walks you through skills, they'll break it down into all the little components too, but you won't. After doing it a few times, something like clearing your mask won't be "look up, push down on top of mask frame, breathe out nose...", it'll just be "clear mask". As you get comfortable, the little things group together and there is less to remember or think about, you just do it.

The open water dives sound a lot more daunting before the pool sessions than they do after, so have fun and enjoy.

Last edited:
Relax and have fun and enjoy our beautiful reefs. Lots of good advice here. Your instructor will guide you through the process and answer your questions.

Welcome to Key Largo. Feel free to ask questions and do stop by to say hi :wavey: while your in town.

I am going to echo everyone else in here and say relax. All those nerves will go away once you take your first breath from that second stage....

Wow! Thank you all so so very much! It means alot u all took the time to offer advice.
I feel a little better now and wil make sure to relax , ask alot of questions, and take it step by step. I can't wait and my father is already planning a may visit to dive with me. I'll report back on how it went after the weekend. Scubaboard rocks! Thank yOu!

Hey underthesea
as everyone said..relax..you will be fine! You will find that after your pool sessions as well...many of your reservations re: first descent will be less of an issue. Enjoy!

Man... wish *I* was 19 and just starting my OW again -- very cool place to be... enjoy all the 'first times' you have coming --

Underthesea, your enthusiasm to get it right is testament that you will...

Oh... and in case you haven't heard... just relax... :wink:

Don't worry about the bumping into things problem yet. Your instructor will take you to a spot where it won't matter for your first dives. You'll be able to rest on the bottom and do your skills without worry. After your skills, you'll get a chance to try our your buoyancy and get a feel for how to stay off of things, but still without danger of hurting anything. So take it easy. Just remember to not descend too fast, and clear your ears. If you have those, the rest will come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom