Looking for advice before OW cert this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underthesea81

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,
Been reading all I can on the board for months, did my elearning over a few weeks and re-read all of it a second time for good measure. Headed to key largo to do my pool and open dives this weekend and getting very nervous.

Not sure why, but it seems like initial descent there is a ton to do, equalize, proper weight, bcd, etc or maybe I'm just thinking it's more than it is? I also don't want to be bouncing off everything underwater, I'm a very very good swimmer but that doesn't help me under water :)
I'm nervous and i know all of us were at this point sometime when we first did it, is there any advice anyone could offer me? :idk:

Been talking with my dad who's dove for 20 years and I did extremely well on the exams but I want to do this right and get through it smiling. Ok,rambling,gonna stop now, thanks!!

Just relax......listen to your instructor and don't overthink any of the tasks.

Ask your instructor as many questions as you feel are necessary to understand what he is trying to instill in you.That's what he is there for.

Most importantly enjoy yourself.

You are overthinking it and that's probably a good thing as it shows you paid attention in class.

You're correct that there's a lot to do as you descend but with practice it will become second nature. I remember when I started it seemed like a never ending list of "do this, do that, check this, check that, do this again, do that again" so much so that I started to wonder if I was ever going to have time just to look around, lol.

As EastEnd said, try to relax as much as possible. You've trained for this moment. Have fun and keep your eye on the prize.

Key Largo is a great spot to do your open water dives.

You'll do fine.

EastEnd is right. First, relax!

There is a lot to do but it isn't overwhelming, and you will quickly find that some things just come naturally.

The instructors will step you through each task and help you out.

Enjoy! You are going to love it!

Don't worry, just relax. Your instructor will make sure you are properly weighted and that you descend onto a patch of sand. You can practice your skills without worrying about "bouncing off everything".

If there is even a remote possibility that you may get motion sick, start taking something for it the evening before your first boat trip. I tried to get my son to do this for my grandson when we were down there last month, but he wouldn't listen and my grandson's first boat dive was spoiled.

Weight is important, but once you've got it within range, it's no longer a worry item, just empty your bc (and if you're head-down, like on an anchor line, learn to reach for your bottom dump valve, that's where the remaining air is), exhale, and let gravity take you down.

Ears--just before you jump in, or start descent, "pre-equalize" them with pinched nose, now you don't have to equalize again til you're a few feet down and there's less to do.

As you're getting near the bottom, think of your bc inflate valve as an "air brake"--give it a couple of shots to slow your descent when you're about 15 feet from your desired depth (and be patient, if takes a few seconds to work, just like an air brake), then a bigger shot at about 5 feet from, and it'll even you out weightless pretty reliably. Also, remember you can fine-tune buoyancy by breathing in a little extra to add more 'brakes', or out to descend a little more.

Relax, You'll do okay, and once you've done okay, the next time you'll be more confident and more relaxed, and so on, and so on.

Enjoy this great new sport!

I have a feeling you're going to get the word "relax" in a lot of your replies here, and that really is important. There's really no reason to be uptight, and all that does is make things more difficult. Everything you do is going to take some getting used to, and the more you dive the easier everything will get.

As far as proper weighting goes, that's really a pre-descent thing so once that is out of the way it's something you won't have to worry about with your descent. Main thing is to just relax and have fun and you'll do just fine. Enjoy!

Hey all,
Been reading all I can on the board for months, did my elearning over a few weeks and re-read all of it a second time for good measure. Headed to key largo to do my pool and open dives this weekend and getting very nervous.

Not sure why, but it seems like initial descent there is a ton to do, equalize, proper weight, bcd, etc or maybe I'm just thinking it's more than it is? I also don't want to be bouncing off everything underwater, I'm a very very good swimmer but that doesn't help me under water :)
I'm nervous and i know all of us were at this point sometime when we first did it, is there any advice anyone could offer me? :idk:

Been talking with my dad who's dove for 20 years and I did extremely well on the exams but I want to do this right and get through it smiling. Ok,rambling,gonna stop now, thanks!!
Some instuctors will over weight students just to make it easier for them. If your insructor does not go thru the drill (500# air, deflate BC, exhale) insist that he does it.

Proper weighting cannot be overstated.

Good luck on the weekend!

As an Instructor, the best advice I can give would be that if you are the least bit unsure about something during the skill or dive briefing - ASK!!! If there is something you are not sure of, I guarantee there are others in the class as well. Do not be afraid to speak up and ask.

Many times I go over the skill or briefing, get lots of affirmative nods, and by the time we start there are a few blank stares.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom