Looking for a Weekend Dive Destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j3weber

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

I'm looking for an island in close proximity to the states to dive for a weekend. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a good dive location / resort for a solo diver. I've dove in many Caribbean islands; Cayman's, Turks, Bonaire, Roatan, Belize, BVI's, and many of the Windward and Leeward islands. I've also done Key Largo so many times that I need a break from it.

I'd like to try somewhere new, any recommendation's on dive locations / resorts in the Bahamas? or Cozumel? Is Grand Turk worth diving? I'm not familiar with the Bahamas at all so any help there would be a +. I'm a rescue diver so open for any type of dives except cave diving. I would go back to St. Croix or the Caymans but like I said I would love to try somewhere new in the western Caribbean.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated - Thank you

How long is your weekend?
Thursday thru Monday. So would dive Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

Cozumel is great, and you can fly right in to the island, so it's just a quick taxi ride to wherever you're staying/diving. Several places have dive and stay packages, often with unlimited shore diving on top.

I don't know where in the U.S. you're operating out of, which impacts things. Have you considered some U.S. diving options that maybe you haven't tried before? What I'm about to share aren't specifically solo trips, which you did ask for; my focus is on a different ocean diving experience from what you may be used to. In Jupiter, you may be diving with the group, rather than an assigned buddy. Whether Olympus Dive Center in Morehead City would let you dive solo, I don't know. I have seen a solo diver on an Emerald Charters trip, who dropped separate from the rest of us and caught up, but drift diving when an effort's underway to attract tiger sharks isn't my idea of optimal soloing conditions.

North Carolina deep wreck diving with sand tiger sharks, such as out of Morehead City or Wilmington, ought to be quite a different experience than what you're used to.

Out of Jupiter, Florida, in the winter there's a lemon shark aggregation, in the fall a goliath grouper aggregation, and then there are shark feeding dive options for people open to it. While in Jupiter, venture over one day to Blue Heron Bridge for a unique shore dive.

Jupiter 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/491927-jupiter-trip-report-9-7-14-9-11-14-a.html
Emerald Charters Trip Report 2017 - Trip Report - Emerald Dive Charters Trip Report
Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html

Hi @j3weber

Where are you coming from? When are you planning to travel? Travel day, 3 days of diving, travel day, is a pretty short trip.

You didn't mention Cozumel in your previous travels, good idea from @Thrutch

Perhaps you should consider SE Florida, a bit broader than as suggested by @drrich2 The drift diving in Boynton Beach, West Palm, and Jupiter is very good and the locations are complimentary. West Palm and the Blue Heron bridge are right in the middle between the other two. Over a 3 day weekend you could easily plan for 12 dives if you wanted.

Agree! Blue Heron is a great spot! It's been a while, but remember it fondly!
Blue Heron is a long dive because it is 15-20 ft max. The marine life is fantastic (mostly juveniles) It can only be done an hour before and an hour after high tide (slack tide) for best visibility. More marine life in a 2 hour 1 tank dive than 10 hours diving in Bonaire.

One more thing. Neighborhood is a bit sketchy. We found hypodermic needles in the park. Be careful when walking.

Back
Top Bottom