Looking for a spare Reg set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

G2fspro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m looking at purchasing a back-up regulator and octo set to have on hand. A lot of my dive sites are 2+ hours away so I’d like to have a full spare just in case. I currently have Apeks XTX-50 and I’m happy with it but looking to try something different for my spare set.

A lot of my diving in is Ohio/Kentucky and Florida. When I can’t dive, I go to the pool just to keep my skills sharpened. I haven’t done any really cold weather diving but my plan is to eventually get dry suit certified. My local shops here and in Florida both carry Aqualung/Apeks, Hollis, Atomic, Zeagle, and Sherwood.

I’ve been looking at the following:

-Hollis 200LX
-Zeagle F8
-Atomic Z3
-Sherwood Blizzard or Oasis

I’m looking for suggestions and recommendations from those who have used them. I plan to purchase from one of the LDS but I’d like to hear from others. While I have zero complaints about my Apeks, I like trying new things.

I’ve used Scuba Pro extensively during my OW and while it’s great, I’m not a fan of their politics. I’ve seen a lot of good things on Dive Rite and Deep Six, my LDS here and in Florida that I prefer do not carry them.

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn’t go Hollis. I keep hearing rumors about the company that aren’t good.

I’m looking for suggestions and recommendations from those who have used them. I plan to purchase from one of the LDS but I’d like to hear from others. While I have zero complaints about my Apeks, I like trying new things.
How about learning how to service the regs?

Scubapro politics?

hollis, Zeagle and Atomic are all Huish owned.

My preferred shops don’t carry Scuba Pro as well.

How about learning how to service the regs?

I’m not opposed to it. I mean I work on race cars. I was under the impression most companies require a certified dealer to perform the work and that parts kits can be difficult to obtain except for HOG who requires a class.

+1 for learning to service your own with whichever brand/ model you choose. I own and service all of my own which includes Scubapro, Apeks, Atomic, US Divers, Sherwood, Tusa, Zeagle, Dacor, and possibly others I have forgotten. They are all relatively similar and easy to service yourself. O-rings are relatively universal and easy to source and the HP and LP seats are found on eBay.

I’m not opposed to it. I mean I work on race cars. I was under the impression most companies require a certified dealer to perform the work and that parts kits can be difficult to obtain except for HOG who requires a class.
If you work on race car then servicing regs is piece of cake.
Apeks service kit is difficult to get in US but does not mean impossible.
BTW, there is no special tool required for XTX-50. I have been using the same TX50 since 1998 for rec/tec dive. Take good care of it and there is really no need to carry a spare set.

Back
Top Bottom