Looking for a spare Reg set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m not opposed to it. I mean I work on race cars. I was under the impression most companies require a certified dealer to perform the work and that parts kits can be difficult to obtain except for HOG who requires a class.

The brands that readily allow DIY servicing are HOG, Deep6, Dive Rite, and Poseidon. None of them require you to take the class to purchase parts *Poseidon does if you want to buy directly from them but you can buy all the parts from @DiveGearExpress or any dealer*. You need the class to receive the manuals from Poseidon, Dive Rite, and I believe HOG, but the manual for the Deep6 Signature is available to everyone at the link below.

I would strongly recommend against all 4 of the regulators that you have listed. The first two are unlikely to have long term support from Huish, Atomic won't let you service anything and is expensive to maintain and Sherwood are good regulators but I would recommend either staying with Apeks or if you switch then go to a brand that is a bit more supportive of their users.

The brands that readily allow DIY servicing are HOG, Deep6, Dive Rite, and Poseidon. None of them require you to take the class to purchase parts *Poseidon does if you want to buy directly from them but you can buy all the parts from @DiveGearExpress or any dealer*. You need the class to receive the manuals from Poseidon, Dive Rite, and I believe HOG, but the manual for the Deep6 Signature is available to everyone at the link below.

I would strongly recommend against all 4 of the regulators that you have listed. The first two are unlikely to have long term support from Huish, Atomic won't let you service anything and is expensive to maintain and Sherwood are good regulators but I would recommend either staying with Apeks or if you switch then go to a brand that is a bit more supportive of their users.

Thank you for the information. Out of the 4 mentioned, are there any advantages to one over the other between HOG, Deep Six, and DiveRite?

Thank you for the information. Out of the 4 mentioned, are there any advantages to one over the other between HOG, Deep Six, and DiveRite?
Dive Rite-oldest company, but about it. They're fine, but the Deep6 is better.
HOG-they look cool to some people
Deep6-basically took the D3/Zenith that @cerich designed while at HOG and hot rodded it. Improved flow, superior coatings, better internal parts, and lower cost of ownership since the first service is included free and if you take the service course you get a free parts kit every other year.

Of the 4 you listed there are no advantages to any of those regulators compared to the 3 above IMO. The Atomic might breathe a bit better than the Dive Rite but it is not worth the compromise of piston and Huish.

Dive Rite-oldest company, but about it. They're fine, but the Deep6 is better.
HOG-they look cool to some people
Deep6-basically took the D3/Zenith that @cerich designed while at HOG and hot rodded it. Improved flow, superior coatings, better internal parts, and lower cost of ownership since the first service is included free and if you take the service course you get a free parts kit every other year.

Of the 4 you listed there are no advantages to any of those regulators compared to the 3 above IMO. The Atomic might breathe a bit better than the Dive Rite but it is not worth the compromise of piston and Huish.

I appreciate it. Looks like HOG or Deep Six will be my choice. I actually have a 10% for DS I could use if I went with HOG.

+1 for Deep6. I dove SP & Atomics for years. Switched to Deep6 not that long ago and I love them.

I have HOG and Deep6 for the reason stated by others: self-serviceability. But even if I had Apeks, if I wanted to acquire spares I'd get Apeks. Interchangeability! I can only imagine going to a shop to have one reg serviced and being told they don't service the other brand of reg. With self-serviceable regs of the same brand, all my regs can be used to scavenge parts for others if needed.

Buy another Apex just for the interchangeability and servicing. Makes life much simpler when Davey Jones comes a calling.

So in a strange turn of events, I ended up grabbing a Hog DC3 Zenith with matching octopus. I had a 10% off coupon and it came in a kit with an SPG and depth gauge console and a nice Mares wrist computer. I don’t need the console or the computer so I’ll sell them at a good price well under retail and after all is said and done I’ll have under $300 in my spare reg set.

Back
Top Bottom