looking for a place to learn scuba in Houston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for the suggestion of Maximum Scuba. I called them and found that they offer a course of 2 classroom sessions (each 4 hrs), 1 pool session (4 hrs), 2 open water sessions (3 hrs each), that's a total of 18 hours - is that sufficient to learn to dive in the open sea?

That sounds about average for an Open Water class. After you have a few dives under your belt, you may want to then think about taking an Advanced Open Water class. An OW class teaches you the basic skills to plan and dive and be safe.

I think it says a lot about a store's attitude (Maximum Scuba) when the representative said something to the effect that they don't expect the student to buy anything until the student had learned how to dive and would know what he/she like to have. Most stores would at least try to hit up the students for the basic personal gears.

That's correct.

I periodically teach for Maximum Scuba. Open water students are not required or even asked to purchase their gear there prior to the course. During the course, students have the opportunity to try out several different masks to see which one best meets their needs. The shop also provides gear for the Advanced Course as part of the all inclusive price.

Most other dive shops require you to have mask, fins, snorkel, etc. Some even require you to have your own weight. Many actually make you purchase their gear to get "special pricing".

The shop even allows already qualified spouses or parents to dive in both confined water and open water with the students with the shops gear and tanks at no charge.

Another aspect is that courses are held regardless of the number of students. Many classes have only had one student at the same price as the normal rate. On a number of occasions, both open water and advanced courses have been started the same day on demand. So the courses have sometimes been done totally to the student's schedule. As a result, the shop has had people from out of state and even from foreign countries enroll in courses while they have been visiting or working on projects in town.

Thanks to the folks who recommended Maximum Scuba, I just completed their class and got certified last weekend at 288 Lake. It was a great experience. They were very flexible in terms of schedule - the class is usually Mon, Wed (class), Thur (pool), Sat, Sun (lake), as I get off work rather late and I had prior commitment last weekend, Jeff (the owner) let me take the course over 2 weeks, so I did first week of Mon, Thur, and 2nd week of Wed, Thu (again, an extra pool session without charge, to let me get more comfortable before open water), Sat, Sun. The instructor, Marc, and his wife, Susan, are very experienced and patient. The class size was small, just 4-6 people, and Susan would give extra help and attention to anyone who needs a little more help. The store and the folks make it feel more like a diving enthuatists' club. They love diving, with a laid-back, (scuba)fun-loving attitude. I think I'll go back there to take more classes, probably Advanced Open Water next. I would recommend this place to anyone interested in learning and getting started.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom