Looking for a new Camera need oppinions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

balingar

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking to purchace a digital camera with an underwater housing... the one I am looking at currently is the Canon PowerShot A80 with the Waterproof Case WP-DC 900. Trying not to spend more than about $600 on the whole set up. If anyone has any ideas on other cameras to look at I would be greatly apreciative...

Thanks,

Balingar

Hi Balingar

I just bought an olympus 5050 and housing, not sure of the price there as I live in the UK but will be Diving near you in a couple of weeks. I got it as there were so many recommendations for it and so far it is excellent. You may be able to get one of these reduced as the new 5060 was launched this month. When you do go for a camera, check the depth rating, you don't want to end up stuck at 20m, unless that's where you want to be? It's not so much for taking pictures at depth, but I often find I will start at 30/35m and work my way up spending most of my time at -15m on a nice reef.

James

balingar:
Hey everyone,

I am looking to purchace a digital camera with an underwater housing... the one I am looking at currently is the Canon PowerShot A80 with the Waterproof Case WP-DC 900. Trying not to spend more than about $600 on the whole set up. If anyone has any ideas on other cameras to look at I would be greatly apreciative...

Thanks,

Balingar

When you say Depth rating do you mean the housing depthrating or do cameras actually have a depthrating? I assume you mean the housing...

narkedat50:
Hi Balingar

I just bought an olympus 5050 and housing, not sure of the price there as I live in the UK but will be Diving near you in a couple of weeks. I got it as there were so many recommendations for it and so far it is excellent. You may be able to get one of these reduced as the new 5060 was launched this month. When you do go for a camera, check the depth rating, you don't want to end up stuck at 20m, unless that's where you want to be? It's not so much for taking pictures at depth, but I often find I will start at 30/35m and work my way up spending most of my time at -15m on a nice reef.

James

balingar:
When you say Depth rating do you mean the housing depthrating or do cameras actually have a depthrating? I assume you mean the housing...

whatever comes into contact with the water, i would assume...

did i mention my camera FLOODED on my last trip to the keys?

well, i did just then, ... so... ok then

The depth rating I mentioned is for the camera housing.

You generaly find most people use their camera at shallower depths because of better light and life, but if you decide to start off deeper or visit a wreck for example, you may find you can't - without risking flooding your housing due to presure. That's why the housing for my oly 5050 is good for me, it is rated to 40m so can go on most of my dives with me. If it were only rated to say 25m, this could mean I would have to leave it ashore for quite a few of the dives I do or it would limit them. The way I see it, what's the point of having a camera that you can't use in your "normal" everyday diving? It will ultimately end up being left at home more often than not.

Remember this is only my opinion, you will get different ones from other people, but it's something to think about.

James

balingar:
My personal preference for enclosures are those from light and motion, like the tetra series.. These enclosures will cost you more than your camera but are well worth it, plus they can be equipped with wetmate lenses (On a dive I can shoot with the flat port, macro and wide angle).. IMHO a wide angle lens is a REQUIRED accessory to any digital camera, without it the field of view is too small. The water acts as a magnifier and reduces the widest setting underwater.

Most are "rated" to 60m/200fsw this rating is not due to the potential of flooding but the depth at which the ALL the buttons are operated by the water pressure.. The origial housings were rated to 90m/300 fsw (and I have used them deeper), they were derated beacuse alot of people complained the buttons were too stiff. If you need to use them deeper than the standard range l&m will install heavier springs under the buttons (the buttons will require much more pressure to operate)

32.gif

I wrote this with the intention of trying to be of help with questions such as yours rather than respond in the thread with a lengthy answer or referring you to a previous thread. Please view it as information based on my experience, not as trying to give you expert advice, as I am no expert.
I hope it helps.

Gilligan....that's a great response. If you'd repost the article as a new thread, I'll stick it to the top of the forum. Since this question is asked so frequently, I think it would be perfect at the top of the page.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom