looking for a good regulator for my wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhettsc1

Registered
Reaction score
hello everyone! my wife is in need of a new regulator and just wanted to get some feedback and recommendations about some. she is looking for one that is nitrox compatible with at least 4 ports in the first stage and she does not want to spend more than 400 for one. she is a small woman so she sips air. she about a little more than half of a tank of air after every dive and average bottom time is around 40 mins. thanks for the comments!

what regulator do you dive? that's usually the best answer.

Unfortunately $400 isn't going to get you anything new... Just isn't going to happen.

Cave Adventurers - Regulator Packages - Regulators - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
Call these guys and ask them what an Edge Epic singles package would cost you since they don't have it listed but will likely have the best prices on them. That's really your only hope of staying under $400. They even have a color kit if your wife is into Pink, Red, or White.

All regulators on the market are nitrox compatible and unless they are specialty items have at least 4 LP and 1 HP ports. As tbone mentioned it will be difficult (but not impossible) to get a full regulator setup (regulator, octo, gauges, for $400). Besides the Hog mentioned above there are also deals floating around on Hollis (Oceanic) regulators as well as the Oceanic Delta. Beaver Divers also has a deal on a Scubapro MK-2/R-395. These are first and second stages only and sell for around $200. If you can get an octo for around $100 and a SPG for the same you are at $400 total.

Unfortunately $400 isn't going to get you anything new... Just isn't going to happen.
I'm not sure where he shops but Leisurepro has 50 of them under $400. They're a licensed dealer for everything they sell except Aqualung.

rhettsc1, since you mentioned your wife is smaller, I suggest looking for a smaller reg - or one with an advertised lightweight 2nd stage. An Aqualung Mikron is $100 over budget but there are other options. Here's three, I'm only listing balanced regs with 2HP/4LP ports. I'm using Leisurepro for these comparisons but you may be able to get a better price. Or if you have an Atomic dealer nearby, it'll be the same price + local tax.

Cressi makes a travel reg - it's $365. Cressi Compact Pro MC9 Regulator HX782200 I know nothing about it.

Mares has a new (to me) model that could work - the Instinct 12S - it's $265. Side exhaust so it's only a right hand reg but that also keeps the bubbles off your face - mostly. Mares Instinct 12S Regulator 416164

A Scubapro MK11/R195 is $370 but have her try it, although the 2nd stage is light, I find them bulky. Scuba Pro MK11/R195 Regulator 12.197.000

For $409 you could get her an Atomic Z2. Of course then she'd have 3/4 of a tank left after every dive. :D Arguably one of the best breathers sold. Atomic Aquatics Z2 Regulator

I assume new is to replace the one she currently uses since she's apparently diving now. So you can re-use her gauges/octo if necessary. Although you can also pickup a set of gauges for around $100-$150 also keeping it still just under $400 if you go with the Mares. All the ones I listed have 2 HP ports also - nice to have the 2nd one if you get an AI computer with transmitter since you can still use a backup SPG.

hth,

what I meant was first + 2 seconds + SPG and/or console for under $400.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-custom-rg3ice-streamlined-ow-reg-package
That's the only one I know of, but it's technically new old stock.

You can build your own for about the same using other brands, but the streamlined regulator configuration they are touting is one of the best regulator setups out there.

I'm not sure where he shops but Leisurepro has 50 of them under $400. They're a licensed dealer for everything they sell except Aqualung.

rhettsc1, since you mentioned your wife is smaller, I suggest looking for a smaller reg - or one with an advertised lightweight 2nd stage. An Aqualung Mikron is $100 over budget but there are other options...//...
Depending on his comfort level, the price at LP for the Mikron is 349 but only choice of green or pink accent colors. They also show 2 used ones at 319 and 279. Both labeled in excellent condition.

I still use the Mikron that I purchased during my OW class 6 years ago.

The Mikron is a very nice breathing reg. it comes in several colors including pink. It's very small which some women, particularly petite, seem to like. Being Aqualung finding service centers is relatively easy across the globe. Of course in the end it's mostly down to personal preference of what's available or what's serviceable in your local. If you travel dive at all I'd stick with either AL or SP as both have vast dealer networks. I owned an older version of the Mikron and it is one the favorite regs I've owned. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom