Looking for a good primary light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This has been helpful I must say. I briefly looked at the LM32 and contemplated what 8000 Lumen would be like and decided that probably wasn't a good idea.

The size of the light head was something that I was overlooking. Thank you for bringing that my attention.
At this point I am about 99% set on the LD40. For battery the Mini is out leaving the short and tall. Top and side gland. I'm really leaning toward the tall simply because in the overall scheme of things it isn't that much more and I know it will be enough. Probably going to try putting it on the rEvo accessory bracket. Which has me thinking the side gland might be a better choice for cable routing.

For what little GoPro camera work I do, the idea of the Dive Rite diffuser sounds good. The external charging, another plus. Stack a cap if I ever add a heater. Everything keeps pointing the LD being the choice.

Doesn't hurt I just found out there is a local dealer as well.

Sidemount gland on right hip w/ backmount doubles DIR style no problem.

Actually stuffs better in waist belt when clipped off on right D-ring with long hose around neck.

The side gland cap also lines up with a stack cap making a clean configuration. If you want to have a heat controller and/or a video light along with your primary it will all route cleanly. I mix and match a primary on a side gland cap, heat controller on a stack cap, and video light on stack cap depending on the dive I'm doing.

I also prefer the side gland for all the configurations I dive, I think it routes better. A buddy of mine dives an rEvo and has his UWLD light, with a side gland, mounted on a rail on his unit. I'm not sure if it is an rEvo rail though.

If I was a first time buyer, I would buy the UWLD. Specs are always accurate, and even if burntime is shorter on the LD40 are you really going to use all of the battery time. One huge pro to the UWLD nobody talks about it is safety to use outside of the water. I use mine for all sorts of work around the house and automotive work. More importantly when I was cave diving in France a few times, my wife and I also wanted to explore some dry caves. So we wandered around dry caves for hours with our UWLDs on low. It got a little warm but never hot, and Bobby had let me know on low it would be alright and I believe would shut off if temp got too high. SM gland routes well for all diving. I buttmount mine in sm and had the cord lengthened. On my rebreather I still butt mount it by hanging it from my bailout butt attachments. I could very easily run it on my right belt, but since the cord is longer than stock, butt mounting is easiest for me. I have an LD35. The only issue I've had is the beam angle is a little wide and in silt and particulate you have to drop the power down and you have to hold it at the right angle to not get backscatter. I'm happy to hear the beam angle is a little better on the 40. It's honestly not a problem, it's just a quirk to get used to. But when I can see huge sections of power cave others can't, it's a quirk I can easily get used to.
I've dove a Focus 2.0. It's a nice light and I like how much of an HID punch it has. But it's a very weird light that gives you a very weird outer spillover. I don't know how to describe it, but it was weird. The LM variable is nice, but I don't like the color spectrum of the light. It's like comparing a regular light bulb to a neon bulb to my eyes. I know quite a few people who got rid of theirs.

I think you'll be happy with an UWLD or a LM. But I think in the long run you'll be happier with an UWLD. (and I've owned both brands for years)

I have one buddy who bought the LM 32VF. It developed a short in the cable. He sent it back and they fixed it. It developed another short in the cable. He fixed it himself. It developed another short in the cable. He bought a UWLD LD-35....

I didn't think the VF feature of his LM really did anything particularly useful, either. If it would zoom from a nice tight 6 - 8 degree beam to a very even 70 degree or more beam, that would be great. But, it doesn't. It seemed like it didn't really even zoom as well as the old school Mag-Lite flashlights would do.

Also, I don't believe the LM is constant output, like the UWLD, either.

Non-constant output is also one reason why the DR EX35 is off my list.

At this point, I think the UWLD LD-40 is a no-brainer.

Constant output.

Stackable caps.

Heat controller option.

The ability to just shell out once for the biggest battery, and then use it for a light, a heated undergarment, or both at the same time just seems like The Bomb, to me. Battery packs are expensive. Why buy another light and then have to shell out for a second battery pack later, when you eventually want a heated undergarment?

My buddy with the LM and UWLD also dives a rEvo. He put the can in one of the accessory fixations and runs it on the side of his unit (with a sidemount gland for the light). I think that is totally the way to go on the rEvo. Light can on right side of case. Drysuit bottle on left side of case. Both clip on and off so easily. So clean and neat!

I am just waiting on budget to get this setup for myself. Though I will probably buy the can and a heat controller before I buy the light head. A cordless light is still enough burn time for me, with battery swaps between dives when needed.

I have one of the G6 LD40 on order. After having a good talk with Bobby I knew it was the correct choice. Now I am just waiting on this first production batch to be built and ship out.

Having never had one of these lights, and still not having one in hand, I need to start planning on how to route the cable. going to mount on the rEvo, but beyond that I have not looked at how the cable will route. Under arm, over arm, gland up, down, etc. Stuff I need to figure out. Any hints?

I have one of the G6 LD40 on order. After having a good talk with Bobby I knew it was the correct choice. Now I am just waiting on this first production batch to be built and ship out.

Having never had one of these lights, and still not having one in hand, I need to start planning on how to route the cable. going to mount on the rEvo, but beyond that I have not looked at how the cable will route. Under arm, over arm, gland up, down, etc. Stuff I need to figure out. Any hints?

I will be curious to see what you settle on.

"Tradition" is to put the can on the right side. But, the reason is so that you can tuck a long hose under it - which you won't be doing if it's mounted on the side of your rEvo. If you put it on the right anyway, gland up, the cable might be too long, even when reaching to your left hand. Or maybe not.

I was considering to put it on the left side, to give the cable a straight shot to my left hand, and put my drysuit inflator bottle on the right. Gland up or down, as works best for not having too much cord slack floating around.And, thinking about it, I wonder if the drysuit bottle on the right would result in the valve handwheel pointing the wrong direction, making it a pain to reach to turn on when I inevitably splash without turning it on first.

on my megstrosity which is setup similar to the GUE JJ, as well as doubles, I used my UWLD with side gland that has a very long cable for butt mounting in sidemount. The light is "cap down" with the gland aimed to the left. Cable crosses the backplate, then runs up and over my left shoulder. It comes out in the same place as it does when I butt mount it in sidemount. No cable in front of you, can easily dangle the light head if you need to go hands-free for a bit. With a normal length cable, you may need to have the cap on top to reduce the length traveled which is obviously not a big deal.
I have never liked the DIR style cable routing and think that @Bobby really changed the game when he came out with a cap that didn't need a switch on it which gave us freedom to put the canister wherever we wanted without having to consider reaching the switch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom