looking for a good compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnavar06

New
Reaction score
Hi, i hope you all can help me.
I am looking for a compressor with 15-20 cfm but where is the best place to buy one for the best price
I have heard of a Davey MC 1A what do you all think
thanks Guys

You need to decide if you want to buy new or go the used route. With as many dive shops that have gone under in the last couple of years, there is no shortage of older compressors. They just seem to hide out since those shops never traded them in for new stuff.

As far as new, you need to decide what features you are looking for and what your price range is.

Most of the Davies are engine powered. Also, the MC-1 are rated about 3500 psi. However, the MC-2 can deliver higher pressure. This might be important if the compressor is being purchased to fill high pressure banked air. On the plus side, there are manuals available and a number of people who potentially could help troubleshooting typical problems of a surplus Davey. A good, used unit could be a significant bargain. Alternately, there is a plethora of used, high capacity compressors selling on EBay every week. They come from industry, fire depts, govt, etc and the big compressors often sell low because the larger share of the (flea) market is for small machines. If the intention is to purchase an electric motor driven unit rated more than 7 cfm three phase power is often required. This rules out most home users.

The big problem with Davey compressors is that they were made almost exclusively for military contract sales, and as a result there is no network or dealers for parts, service, or advice. Also, the company has been split, merged, and sold repeatedly, so the compressors aren't even made by Davey anymore - Keco Industries, www.kecoindustries.com, now has the line.

Most of the vendors selling parts for them are getting them by cannabalizing surplus machines, which means the most commonly needed parts go quickly and future supply is questionable. Keco did say, when I talked with them a couple years ago, that they could supply parts for many of the Davey models but they are probably going to be pretty expensive.

A cool and entertaining machine for the hobbyist or person who likes funky machines (it's amazing I haven't acquired one yet), but it wouldn't be my choice if I was going to use it commercially.

If the Davey is not on the short list go to govliquidation.com. One will see that about a dozen, 20 cfm Bauer compressors are to be auctioned at Mechanicsburg, PA. New or close to it. A long haul from Texas but potential savings up front of more than 10,000 dollars.

Back
Top Bottom