Looking for a good BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you said "good" BCD.... I'm going to assume that you are looking for a product that is reliable, value priced and will get the job done as opposed to "the Best" or latest and greatest. If so...a lady diver that spends a lot of time spear fishing with us and is a very skilled and experienced diver enjoys her Scubapro Ladyhawk. I would suggest you try one on and compare it if you are looking at back inflate cross-overs. I find Scubapro makes quality gear at an affordable price point. She puts that unit through tough conditions with us regularly and it performs well and has held up nicely since we only dive salt water.

Cheers, Roadtrip

Things I have learned:

Many ladies don't use the "ladies model" BC. They get a good fit from a regular BC which is more like a "ladies or men's model".

Look at the weight pockets, and try to release them. The good ones release with moderate force and have mechanical latching, not just velcro. The cheap ones have weight pockets that are made from material more appropriate for a Halloween costume.

If you plan on using an extra-large tank, partictlarly an eight-inch diameter tank, make sure the tank mount will conform to it. (I had a a BC that would only hold a 7 1/4 inch diameter tank securely.

Are you small or extra small? I have a daughter who is. Dive stores often have a tough time selling smaller sizes. Ask for a big discount, particularly in the off-season, on a smaller BC. You will probably get it.

Have fun / Stu.

You all have given such good advice. I thank you all. :) I tried on several Bc's. Womens only BC's, hybrid BC's. I finally went with the Sea Quest Pro QD. It seemed the most comfortable and best fitting to me. Now to plan my next dive....

Im a big fan of the oceanic bc line. I love my oceanic probe, They also have a female version which is the HERA, i think Aeris also carries a model that is very similar, i am very partial to the Oceanic line because that is what the shop i work for sells along with many other brands.
The shop i work for
dipndive@verizon.net
dipndive.com - Home

I tried on and used many different BC's before settling on the Zeagle Zena. What I like about it is you can swap out parts to customize it to your body. Also, the front panel zips up, so it's a corset-like fit, which gives me support on my back with the weights and the tank.

I originally bought a medium on Zeagle's recommendation, but the tank continued to roll on my back (or off, really) even when the staps were fully pulled. I had ScubaToys (where I bought it) swap out the front panel for the small and now there's no rolling and the BC stays in place!!

The first thing to consider is fit. The second thing is the comfortable aspect. You need to feel comfortable in your BC. Aeris is Oceanic's family brand. It is owned by the same company so you are getting a great BC with the Aeris Atmos. Try on a variety of different styles and pick the one that is most comfortable with you. Aeris and Oceanic are the only company to carry the hybrid BC. It incorporates both back inflation and jacket style inflation. This is ideal for the person who is unsure of which style is more comfortable.

Actually, the Sherwood Tortuga is also a hybrid BC. In fact, in the new Atmos LX, Aeris has changed the weight pockets so that they are similar to the pockets on the Tortuga. This is a much more convenient setup than on the XT. Both hybrids are essentially back inflate bc's with a small amount of flotation along the sides.

You all have given such good advice. I thank you all. :) I tried on several Bc's. Womens only BC's, hybrid BC's. I finally went with the Sea Quest Pro QD. It seemed the most comfortable and best fitting to me. Now to plan my next dive....

Very good choice. My g/f has over 200 dives on her Pro QD and really likes it.

Whichever BC's you are looking at, try them out if you can. If they are weight-integrated, load them up with some lead, strap a tank on and see if still feels as comfortable. Then try to get into the water if possible. It's amazing how different a BC will feel standing dry in a shop vs horizontal underwater. Can you reach all the points of adjustment easily? Is there enough room if you switch between a thin .5mm wetsuit and a 7mm, or a farmer john 2pc style?
As many have pointed out, there are jackets, hybrids, back inflates and backplate/wing setups. Try as many different of these styles as possible. BC's ain't cheap, and you don't want to look around in a few months and say 'if I'd only tried that back then'.

Don't rush. Spend the time and do your homework. In the long run you'll be glad you did.

Welcome to the Board and happy diving!!

Hank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom