Looking for a good BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suzyp

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to diving. I have been looking at BC's. I tried the Aeris Atmos on today. It seemed comfortable. But has anyone out there used this BC? It is one of those crossover- back inflate/jacket style BC's.

Sorry I can't help you with the BC in specific. Just want to say that do take your time in choosing your gears (among brands and different type of same gear category). Don't need to rush. Do some research and try them if you can (by borrowing or trial at the shop if they are available). This way, you could at least minimize the chance of buying something you later won't want/need.

Just something from my expensive experience................. :)

Thanks for the advice. I am definitely looking at all the pro's and con's of each style and brand.

I believe the atmos is basically a back inflate with a little bit of inflate on the sides - so a crossover. I tried it on in the store before going with a backplate and wing.

Regarding in the water performance - I have no idea. I would say that a lot of people find back inflate to give better performance underwater (where you will be spending the majority of your dive).

A lot of the people on this board are fans of Zeagle - which is a back inflate bc.

Since scubatoys sells both zeagle and aeris (sp?) brands, you might want to give them a call and get their opinion.

Honestly the best BCD advise anyone can give you...other than go with a BP/W ;-) -> is to try as many styles/brands as you can.

In terms of recreational BCs I've tried Sherwoods and Zeagles and both have good products.

Cheers.

-J.-

Just try them out and see what you like. I've used about a dozen or more different brands and several different styles. From what I've found they all have two things in common. They all attach my tank to my body and have air bladders I can either inflate or deflate to compensate for different factors that affect my buoyancy. I don't rely upon my BC to make me run faster, jump higher, or dive better, so really it all boils down to what is comfortable on me.

I do have my favorites, but they're my favorites, I'm sure there are people out there who would hate them.

As long as you stick with the major brands you shouldn't have any issues with quality, they all put out pretty good product that, if you take care of them, will last you until you want to get another one.

My wife, as a new diver, is pretty happy with her Mares. (Jacket-style BC) I forgot what model it is, but it's cut to better suit a woman's figure.

44cec5286022.jpg

:love: :)

Try diving a bp/w before you buy anything. Most shops should have those for hire.

You will either love it or hate it. But if you love it, it will be a far better option (in term of modularity, buoyancy and trim control, drag, less restriction on your body and chest) than a jacket-style BC (even a back inflate or crossover jacket BC).

I started diving jackets (and got certed in one) and never looked back since I switched to a bp/w.

The first thing to consider is fit. The second thing is the comfortable aspect. You need to feel comfortable in your BC. Aeris is Oceanic's family brand. It is owned by the same company so you are getting a great BC with the Aeris Atmos. Try on a variety of different styles and pick the one that is most comfortable with you. Aeris and Oceanic are the only company to carry the hybrid BC. It incorporates both back inflation and jacket style inflation. This is ideal for the person who is unsure of which style is more comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom