looking for a entry level UW digital camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I understand that the concept of a flood is pretty daunting I really don't think that it is an issue when thinking about housing your compact camera. 99% of the time it is caused by user error - and the type of system you have won't change that as long as it is a good, solid system to begin with. And the canons and ikelites are.

Personally, I think getting an inferior underwater camera set-up and "saving" the land camera you like is a bit of false economy. The model you have now will most likely drop in price and also be replaced by something newer/better in the next 12 months so even if you do flood your current one, it can be replaced or upgraded.

The cost of buying a housing for a current camera vs buying something like the sealife is far less. And your images will be far better, imho. Which means, for me, that would be much better value. Even if I had to buy a second current compact (same model as I would use in the housing), I feel I would still be ahead. To me, the images are the most important thing and I'd give myself the best chance to bring home the best I could.

YMMV and there isn't any one answer that's right for everyone. I'm just adding what my personal experience is - both as a user and as someone who sees many different rigs come through in real life.

That is true and I think the A620 was already replaced with the A630. I think I will just get the Cannon case and call my insurance agent and get it insured, if it isn;t already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom