looking for a entry level UW digital camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Na we don't count spelling as a good thing here.. I have the DC500 and really love it.

The best part is the service end of the company.

Bluegillbunch.jpg

Yes, you can use a strobe with the A620. If you are using the Canon housing and something like the Inon strobe you will use a fibre optic cable. The camera's flash triggers the strobe and it's connected by the cable. It's very easy. The camera's flash, with Inon in this case, is covered so it doesn't toss light onto your subject, but does trigger the strobe.

There are other options out there, too. www.reefphoto.com is a very good operation and the guys there can help you choose the right system for your needs.

excellent! thanks for all the help. Is there a specific brand of case I should consider?

pk, what storbe do you recommend? sorry, I am asking a billion questions...

I personally own a Sealife Reefmaster 3.3mp. I can't remember the model right now (brain malfunction ;o) I think it's a DC-300. That sounds right. Anyways, it is an excellent beginner camera as it is inexpensive (I got it for around $200) and still takes decent pictures. Once you decide if you want to stick with uw photo, you can then upgrade to another camera or stick with this one and add strobes, extra lenses, ect. You can't really compare this to an Olympus, Ike, Canon, etc as it is a low end camera and only 3.3 mp. However, for a beginner, it is an excellent way to learn and if you do flood, at least you're only out the cost of a cheaper digital camera rather than a very expensive one. For me (a poor college grad), it was the only way to go.
Good luck!

true, I would rather not flood my A620

Here is an entry uw system I just recently purchased.
Olympus SP-350 179.99 from JR.com
OLYMPUS 1GB Type H XD Memory Card 29.99 from JR.com
Olympus PT-030 underwater housing 175.00 from newworldvideodirect.com
total of 405.00 including shipping charges
I did a lot of price comparisons and this was the best for the money I came up with.

Back
Top Bottom