looking for a entry level UW digital camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWCWdiver

Reaction score
i am posting this in here and the camera forum, sorry for the double posting. just looking for some suggestions.

thanks guys!

Any suggestions on a basic UW camera system? Sea life?

If you're looking for a budget and basic (i.e., slave flash, not TTL) digital camera+strobe, I'd recommend sealife DC500 and 960D strobe such as:
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SeaLifeDC500ProKit
I think you can't beat this price (~$500) for a 5 MP camera and powerful strobe. Other strobes I've seen at the $300-400 price range from Ikelite and Sea&sea were only half (or less) powerful.
If you already have a digital camera and a UW case is available, then it is even cheaper. I have a canon A520, got a case for $160 and the strobe for under $250. Used it twice underwater (in the Keys and Cozumel) already and pics from 3 to 12 feet were good.
Good luck and dive safely.

Here's another one to check out ...if you're willing to go camera plus housing:

Nikon Coolpix L6 with Ikelite Housing.

The camera is a 6 mpixel easy to use point-and-shoot that you can find for about $149 and the housing ...well it's an Ikelite - what more can I say.

Welcome to the addiction!!! You will find that there are many options and even more opinions on what cameras to start out with. The Pink Link in my signature below includes some getting started information including a list of some specific options and links to images/discussions about those options.

Knowing things like: your budget, how often & where you dive, what kinds of images you like (or think you will like to take), if you have a digital camera already, if size is an issue, how experienced a diver you are and how comfortable you are with a camera will also help us point you in the right direction(s)!

I personally adore the Canon A series offerings. There are many different models out there in this range to suit most budgets and most of the needs of divers just starting out with underwater photography. These little units have lots of growth potential so you won't be looking to upgrade the week after you buy it (well, if you're like the rest of us, you will coz this is a slippery slope for shopping!)

Fuji and Olympus also have some good choices including the Olympus 350 which has RAW (see the Pink Link for more info on that).

really! I have the A620 but I do not have a slave storbe option. I also worry that it will flood my carmera. I figured the selifes or the like, would be really build solely for diving and be less likely to leak. Your thoughts?

I'll check that out footslogger

No, they are not less likely to leak. Floods are almost always user error and every system you take under has pretty much the same chance of something happening (in a quick nutshell - some do have more "problems" than others, but that is the exception).

Careful maintenance and inspections before you hit the water are essential to keep your gear safe. But remember, it's not if, it's when :wink:

The A620 is a great camera and I would simply house it to get started.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom