Looking for a dive op on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffhamm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Planning on visiting the end of the month, and would like to make a few dives, I've only seen reviews on one company and it was only by a couple people.

Are any others recommended? Maybe different ops for different parts of the island?

Do different ops favor certain sites, and are some better than others depending on location?

Anyone offer public safety discounts? Is that normal in Hawaii?

I noticed while researching online that many operators use the same boats. Does that cause problems, or should it be of no concern?

Thanks,
Jeff

Hey Jeff......

I can take a stab at answering a few of your questions. You really have lots of options whilst here in the islands.

Option 1: Book a package with one of the "Big Shops" The most likely will pick you up, drop you off and dive you off the same boat day after day. Not saying that you will hit the same spots, but they do tend to leave out of the same harbors

Option 2: Look for a smaller, more custom op that can do a variety of boat dives out of different marinas, shore dives and anything else you might desire. If you are having trouble finding one, I could probably help with that!

Option 3: Use a site like shorediving.com and rent tanks from a local shop (and or gear). Go out and explore, get lost, brush up on navigation patterns and hook up with dive buddies at the sites..... can be fun but a little difficult on some sites!

Any other questions, feel free to PM. The only discounts that are generally given are military or multi-day package discounts....

Hope this helps!

G

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to our main Ohana forum

Jeff,
What days are you looking at? We dive almost every weekend, and if you would like to join us you are welcome. You would need to have gear or we can arrange for rental. It would only cost you for air and any gear you need. The downside to that is diving for us is pretty much weekend only. This would be shore diving most likely.
If you are interested, let me know.

There are about a thousand dive operations on Oahu, ranging from multi-location shops to some dudes, a boat, and scuba gear. Your work is cut out for you.

If you are looking for a public safety discount, the folks I go to may do that. Ocean Concepts has their own boat which goes out twice daily, and they do hotel pickups and drops as well as rentals and the like. They're a good shop and I like going diving with them.

Also, Downing just posted a nice essay on why Gabe runs a great operation, and he has a good reputation on this forum. I haven't personally dove with him yet, but it's in my plans.

That being said, I do have some negative things to say. Well, one really. I went with the guys over at Scuba Diving in Oahu, Scuba Dive Hawaii, Shipwrecks, YO-257, Seatiger and did not enjoy the experience. They did a few things underwater I consider to be unprofessional but YMMV, and the gear they were renting (didn't own yet) was about my age (22 at the time). I've got nothing against old gear, but the fact that my SPG and depth gauge were in metric bothered me.

You can also rent your own gear and try to hook up with some members of this board to go shore diving with. Most of the North Shore dive spots should be diveable still, and I've never seen a bad day on the west side. Unfortunately that's about the extent of my knowledge of diving on the island, but I'm looking to change that. I'd invite you to join me and my buddy but alas, we're both overseas right now and won't be back for a good while to go.

No matter what, I hope you enjoy yourself immensely in paradise.

Peace,
Greg

Thanks all!

I have family on the island, so tanks for shore diving wouldn't be a problem shouldn't require any rentals!

Looks like average rate for a boat dive is 90-100 bucks a head, is that pretty close?

As I get things worked out, I may try to hook up with some of you for some shore dives, would be fun!

thanks
Jeff

Yeah, the rate you mentioned is in the ballpark.

Some locations are definately better than others, and the good news is, you're coming to Oahu during the North Shore dive season (which usually runs from May through September). Conditions on the leeward side are reliably favorable to diving year-round. Many ops either have their own boat that leaves from the little harbor of Waianae, or will simply charter an independent boat docked there. The South shore can be a bit bumpy at this time of year (winter is best), but some ops like Aarons charter a boat daily that leaves from Hawaii Kai year-round (it also uses a Waianae-based boat daily). To me, though, pride of place belongs to the North Shore. The sites aren't that hard to navigate (by a blend of extensive research and trial-and-error!), but I think you'll have the most rewarding experience by finding an operator or experienced local guide who can show you the North Shore sites' truly neat stuff: lava tubes, swim-throughs, and so on. Have fun!

Are any others recommended? Maybe different ops for different parts of the island?

That's probably the case. The ops I've been on tend to stay in/around the bay that the boat departs from.

Do different ops favor certain sites, and are some better than others depending on location?

I think this is the case, ops do have their favored sites, depending on distance, their clientele, etc. On the ops I've been with, morning dives are for certified divers only and are deeper. You'll typically get a wreck first (70-100ft) followed by a shallower reef or drift dive (30-60ft). Afternoon dives include discovery/class checkout dives, and are typically two shallow reef dives.

One Waikiki operator I've dived with does the Corsair and YO a lot. Another prefers Baby Barge and Fantasy Reef. Whenever I've called ahead, I usually get non-committal answers about where they'll likely go, which is understandable.

I noticed while researching online that many operators use the same boats. Does that cause problems, or should it be of no concern?

Not a problem per se, but when an operator simply charters spots on a dive boat, they (and in turn, you) may not have the ability to decide what site to dive. If they have their own boat, the customers have more of a say, conditions depending of course. Also, you may or may not have to put up with more crowded boats on such charters, since the operator again has less control over the total booking.

The last time I was on Oahu, I dove with Island Divers out of Hawaii Kai. They have a big boat, there weren't a lot of other divers on it that day, the sites were good and the DMs were easy-going. I had a good time. And it was the first time in Hawaii that I didn't witness anyone go OOG at depth and suck on the DM's octo during the safety stop. Two-tank morning dives were $85 with pickup/dropoff (I've been quoted as high as $150 there, pre-recession, and another op I called wanted $125, a $30 hike from last year).

Back
Top Bottom