Looking for a buddy to dive in NJ / Dutch Springs PA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

denise611

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I am looking for a buddy to dive potentially in Dutch Springs, Round Valley, and maybe some NJ boat dives. I have been diviing for about 14 months, have AOW, Nitrox and PPB (Buoyancy) certs, and have 50 dives under my belt.

I have done lots of Dutch Springs dives and some NJ boat diving, along with some diving in North Carolina, Florida, Mexico, St. Maarten and Arizona.

Would love to find someone who enjoys diving from time to time.

Denise:blinking:

denise611:
Hi!

I am looking for a buddy to dive potentially in Dutch Springs, Round Valley, and maybe some NJ boat dives. I have been diviing for about 14 months, have AOW, Nitrox and PPB (Buoyancy) certs, and have 50 dives under my belt.

I have done lots of Dutch Springs dives and some NJ boat diving, along with some diving in North Carolina, Florida, Mexico, St. Maarten and Arizona.

Would love to find someone who enjoys diving from time to time.

Denise:blinking:

PM "The Natural"... He's been trying to get me to go to Dutch:sappy: this summer, but its over a 5 hr drive for me:shakehead I'm sure he'd be happy to have a dive buddy!

Hey Denise,

I spend most weekends at Dutch Springs, so give a shout when you plan to be up there. I've got a few weeks off, so a weekday works too.

Denise - welcome to NJ diving!

Where in central NJ are you? I'm in Belle Mead and Haven Beach. There's a big contingent of Dutch Divers from Central NJ - what shop do you dive out of? One the biggest shops in NJ (in fact all of the northeast - and according to PADI is one of the top 5 in the country in terms of training) is here in Somerset County.

They have two big tents at Dutch on the peninsula said and there's always folks looking for buddies. They also offer a great "Boat Diver" cert at half-price which includes a good academic/realistic overview of NJ boat diving. They have organized boat charters most every weekend.

Me, I prefer the Atlantic to the Quarribean. If you want to buddy-up for a boat dive drop me a line. I'm down on LBI most every weekend and there's several boats that run out of there.

Ray

Hi Denise. If you are in Central Jersey you can come join us on the boats. We are usually going out twice a week. There are a few real nice boats that go out of Belmar. I am sure my girlfriend would love some company. She is usually the only woman on the boat. :D I see no need to go the lake in PA (dutch) when we are so close to real diving. The last few weeks have been great offshore with vis at 30 plus feet :14: Let me know if you feel like coming along

Hello Denise,

I would like to dive the beaches of the NJ coast. I recently bought a book that gives detailed infromation about wrecks off of the New Jersey coast. I would like to have a buddy with me. If you are interested please reply.

Pete

RJP3:
There's a big contingent of Dutch Divers from Central NJ - what shop do you dive out of? One the biggest shops in NJ (in fact all of the northeast - and according to PADI is one of the top 5 in the country in terms of training) is here in Somerset County.

They have two big tents at Dutch on the peninsula said and there's always folks looking for buddies. They also offer a great "Boat Diver" cert at half-price which includes a good academic/realistic overview of NJ boat diving. They have organized boat charters most every weekend.

Ray

Hey Ray -

Are you speaking of The Scuba Connection? That is the only dive shop I can think of in Somerset County. I actually received my initial OW, AOW, PPB, and Nitrox training there. The truth is that I have spent my first year mostly diving with my brother and sister in law, who got me into diving. I have had a pretty vast amount of experience already in one year - doing some deep dives (100+ feet) in springs in Florida, plenty of shore diving in Florida, North Carolina and Mexico, wreck diving in FL, NC, and off the coast of NJ. Obviously, I have been to Dutch as many have before.

I am at the point where I dont want to wait until the next vacation or visit to go diving (brother lives in Arizona / Florida). I want to be able to dive here at home from time to time.

I didn't know that dive shops usually have wandering divers looking for buddies... Do you usually just show up, contact the dive shop before, ... what is the standard way of going about it...

My other concern is to probably dive with someone at Dutch first, to get a feel for a new buddy. I am very used to who I have done my first 50 dives with, but diving in the Atlantic with a totally new buddy is not how I would like to get acquainted.

If you could give me some more info on meeting dive shop buddies at Dutch, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Denise

bigpete0828:
Hello Denise,

I would like to dive the beaches of the NJ coast. I recently bought a book that gives detailed infromation about wrecks off of the New Jersey coast. I would like to have a buddy with me. If you are interested please reply.

Pete

Hey Pete -

Where have you been diving already? I may be going up to Dutch one day in the next couple of weekends. I would like to do a few dives there with a potential new buddy before heading off to the coast for diving. Have you been wreck diving?

Denise

Denise - yup TSC is the shop in question.

:)

They have two tents up at Dutch on the peninsula side. Big "The Scuba Connection" sign on the tents.

To buddy up you can certainly simply show up and ask around, but if you've trained with them and know them a bit might be more effective to pop into the shop - maybe to rent some tanks or pick up whatever odds/ends you might need - and talk to someone there directly. Tell them that you're going up and would like to get hooked up with a buddy.

Another option is to do a course with them. I highly recommend doing Peak Performance Bouyancy if you haven't already. Many pooh-pooh that class but I really got a lot out of it.

I've recently gotten my Wreck Diver and Rescue Diver certification with them, and as mentioned (I think) they have a good Boat Diver cert course which is only $62 (plus dive charter) where you've got a built-in buddy in your instructor.

I'll be diving Lake Atlantic this weekend, but I know a woman who's looking for a buddy at Dutch this weekend. PM me for info and I'll check with her too. She's looking to get a dive or two in this weekend before we do some wreck diving on Monday down off LBI. Maybe you guys can hook up for Saturday.

Ray

Denise,
You are more than welcome to dive with any of us. I agree getting to know someone and dive in a "controlled" enviroment is a BIG plus. Take a look over here at some point. Someone one is almost always at dutch, out on a boat, or looking for dinner off the shore every weekend. Most everyone from the group that has dove together started out with walking up to a bunch of people and saying, "Hey, are you the guys/gals from Wreck Valley? I am so and so, want to go diving?" Everyone I have ever dove with from the group is very laid back and nice people. I hope to see you in the water sometime.
Take care,
Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom