Looking for a boat dive recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metalheadluigi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I'll be visiting SoCal in Dec/Jan and I'm trying to set aside some time for diving.

If you could only do one boat dive below (or open to suggestions too!), which would you choose?

1. 3 tank w/Raptor SAT- Dec 29
2. 3 tank U/W Arch / Seals /Sea Lions / Kelp on SAT-Jan 5 with Raptor
3. 3 tank Tres Miguels / Gunsight area. SUN-Jan 6 with Raptor
4. 3 tank Rod's Ridge, Chris's Rock & Conner's Canyon Pinnacle Reefs with Marissa SUN-Dec 30
5. 3 tank with waterhorse at either Wreck alley or coronado Jan 3/4

Most boat dives I've had were on the Humboldt with Waterhorse Charters. Fun times - I haven't been in almost a year, but I'd go again, for sure. If you want to see some wrecks, the Yukon and RubyE are the go-to for wreck diver classes in the area. If wildlife is more your thing, then Coronado or the Point Loma kelp beds. You can see some big black bass and the sea lions aren't shy. If vis is terrible, or conditions overall bad, the crew will suggest relocating to a different site to not waste a dive.
They'll feed you, and provide tanks and hard weights. Nitrox is extra and needs to be arranged in advance. Solo was a no, but I'd double check on their stance if need be. Don't forget your dive cert, or they won't take you out.

I see you're from Sacramento, but I'm going to assume you haven't dived the southern side of the state before.
I apologize if this assumption is incorrect.

All those sound like fun trips. Good boats, where you have them listed.
December can be a good time to dive So Cal, as long as the storms don't come early. After the New Year things get a little dicey, although last year we had a very divable Spring.
The following are just my opinions.

If someone is first-time diving Southern California, I'd suggest they opt for dive #2 (Sea Lions / Kelp on the Raptor).
That's a Northern Channel Islands trip, which is a beautiful location.
Plus you'll be diving the kelp forests, which are special environments unique to California.
The Raptor is a good boat. It's been operating a long time, and knows the area very well.

I would not recommend #5 (Wreck Alley trip). It would be a great trip for a local diver, but wrecks can be found anywhere. See them on your third or fourth trip to the area. The Marrissa and Waterhorse are first-class operations for wreck diving.
Wreck Alley are fairly deep dives. Make sure you have the required certification level before booking the boat. California boats are strict as a result of a few incidents that have made operators nervous.

The info above from JXT71 is spot-on.
But double check about the tanks.
Some provide tanks, some don't, some rent tanks, but most let you bring your own.

Have a great trip.

K

I would concur with @kablooey and direct you toward the Anacapa or Santa Cruz dives with the Raptor. I have been a Divemaster on the Raptor for the last 2 December's and January's. You will encounter healthy kelp forests and very fun diving, it is much closer for you to get to from Sacramento also. I love the Water Horse too, but if your profile is accurate and you have less than 50 dives, then definitely would encourage you to dive from the Raptor out at Anacapa.

On another note- the dive sites posted on the Raptor calendar are what they will shoot for. But reality is that conditions will prevail and dictate which specific dive sites will be dived on any given day. Wind, swell, current, etc.. all play a factor and the captain will put you on the best, but safest dive sites for the conditions that day. Regardless, you will have an excellent time! Enjoy!

Thanks everyone for the input. After reading through the advice, I'm leaning towards tackling the wrecks another time. I'm right around 40 dives and fairly comfortable with cold water diving at moderate depths, but I am mostly interested in wildlife. Likely looking at Raptor's schedule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom