Looking for a basic transparent UW container

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naimis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm wanting to test some DIY gear underwater to validate my ideas before building them up more significantly. That is, proof of concept.

I had been planning on putting stuff into clear PVC and taking it into the water with me, but at the size I need (6"), clear PVC is cost-prohibitive (~$40/ft, 10ft min purchase, i.e. $400).

I dug through my memory and google searching skills to remind myself of the "otterbox". At minimum I'm looking at probably needing 4.5"x6"x2", but it doesn't look like any of the waterproof otterboxes fit that requirement.

I don't necessarily need to go to 100ft, just get what I'm fiddling with submerged maybe 10 ft for testing. And it needs to be at least partially transparent so I can see what's going on inside.

Does anyone have any suggestions along these lines? I already looked at Pelican, and all their clear cases say "not for swimming or submerging" on the web pages.

I'm wanting to test some DIY gear underwater to validate my ideas before building them up more significantly. That is, proof of concept.

I had been planning on putting stuff into clear PVC and taking it into the water with me, but at the size I need (6"), clear PVC is cost-prohibitive (~$40/ft, 10ft min purchase, i.e. $400).

Can you get some regular PVC and maybe a clear cap for it? Or put a flange on the PVC and bolt a plexiglass plate to it?

Borrow a camera/video (ikelite is clear) housing without the camera or buy an obsolete one off of ebay. Won't it still be at 1 atm, whats the point of submerging it? light changes? Just curious

Won't it still be at 1 atm, whats the point of submerging it? light changes? Just curious
My initial thought also.

If you protect your DIY gear by putting it into a dry, 1ata environment of a sealed box, then as far as the DIY gear is concerned, there is no difference than sitting in your living room.

If your intent is to let the clear PVC be flooded and equalized with the underwater pressure, then putting your DIY gear in a ziplok bag filled with water and then taking to depth will do the same thing, a lot cheaper and easier.

Borrow a camera/video (ikelite is clear) housing without the camera or buy an obsolete one off of ebay. Won't it still be at 1 atm, whats the point of submerging it? light changes? Just curious

In this particular instance, I'm testing guidance and stabilization hardware. One of the first items will be an attempt to use a gyroscope to stabilize a device in water. The gryoscopes might not need to be in water to observe at least the most basic stabilization, but when I get around to trying to minimize lateral movements, I'll definitely need to submerge the test apparatus.

I actually have a canon brand powershot G9 housing, but it's too small for this. I'm not sure if it'd fit in my Ikelite housing, but I'm reluctant to stick prototype equipment in my "good" housing.

If your intent is to let the clear PVC be flooded and equalized with the underwater pressure, then putting your DIY gear in a ziplok bag filled with water and then taking to depth will do the same thing, a lot cheaper and easier.

The intent is to see how the devices respond to being in an aquatic environment, and to be able to see the devices in operation within the case. Specifically, I want to stick a powered gyroscopic guidance system in the water, see that the gryoscope is operating, and observe the effects on external forces on the device while it's in water.

How about a pressure pot?

Happy consuming.

bicks.jpeg

Happy consuming.

Ha! That's actually a pretty good idea, I must admit. :D

... too bad I don't have any liquor bottles with necks big enough to fit a hard drive through...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom