Looking for a 4/3 Fullsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_C

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I find that for me a 4/3 is a great warmer water wetsuit. Less bulky then a 5 but a tad warmer than a 3 without requiring a hood and vest. I don't move much underwater and around here there are thermoclines sometimes in summer.

My 11 year old 4/3 has "shrunk" plus it has a lot dives on it and probably is now a 3.5/2.2 :)

So I am looking for a 4/3 in a quality fabric with some stretch so easy on and off. I have searched the internet but the only thing I found was an O'Neill which is for surfing so I assume that the material will compress more and not be as good for diving. Am I wrong?

Size is an LS. My 7 and my 5 are LS and it is the perfect size.

Anybody know of a suit out there that meets my needs? Color not important. I would even wear all black if I had to.

Hi Steve: I just bought an XCEL 4/3 (Axis model). I only have 9 dives in it now over 4 days, but I was pretty pleased. I made some long dives (pushing 60 minutes) as low as 71 F on the bottom. I used a 5 mm hood as well, but I was quite comfortable in this suit. I think this model may actually be geared more for surfing, etc., but it did a nice job of limiting water exchange, so I like it. Also, it has a weird entry, where you effectively unzip a shoulder flap and then pull the shoulder tabs apart and climb in from the top. I went for this design because with the chest/shoulder zip, I can pull it open in the front and provide a big air gap on my chest. It helps vent the suit and I can pour some water in if I'm overheating on the boat. I really wish manufacturers would make more front zip options, they are so much more comfortable to zip up at the last minute when you're sweltering on the boat.

Hi Steve: I just bought an XCEL 4/3 (Axis model). I only have 9 dives in it now over 4 days, but I was pretty pleased. I made some long dives (pushing 60 minutes) as low as 71 F on the bottom. I used a 5 mm hood as well, but I was quite comfortable in this suit. I think this model may actually be geared more for surfing, etc., but it did a nice job of limiting water exchange, so I like it. Also, it has a weird entry, where you effectively unzip a shoulder flap and then pull the shoulder tabs apart and climb in from the top. I went for this design because with the chest/shoulder zip, I can pull it open in the front and provide a big air gap on my chest. It helps vent the suit and I can pour some water in if I'm overheating on the boat. I really wish manufacturers would make more front zip options, they are so much more comfortable to zip up at the last minute when you're sweltering on the boat.

How's your Xcel holding up? I got a 3/2 yesterday and had a hard time with getting my arms and legs into the suit when it's dry. It felt very constrictive. I've read that wetsuits will expand when wet so I don't know if the tightness I'm finding is only because I tried it on dry or because I picked a size too small. I did go by the sizing chart and the torso feels fine. It's just the arms and legs that are really tight, making it a struggle to get in/out.

As for top entry versus back entry, I specifically selected for back entry so that I could remove the suit without removing my mask and reg; at least, that's my thinking.

@divinh, I've noticed that a couple of the glued seams appear to be coming apart slightly. So far, it's no big deal, but we'll see how it holds up through this upcoming dive season. I don't find my arms and legs to be overly tight. They are nice and snug, but no real difficulty there.

@divinh, I've noticed that a couple of the glued seams appear to be coming apart slightly. So far, it's no big deal, but we'll see how it holds up through this upcoming dive season. I don't find my arms and legs to be overly tight. They are nice and snug, but no real difficulty there.

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I'll be sending it back and picking one size up to see how that goes. I did use the sizing chart and maybe it's on the small side of it? How did you pick, from a sizing chart or from actually trying one on prior to purchase?

I just picked from the sizing chart. Maybe you're just built like Popeye! :wink:

I just picked from the sizing chart. Maybe you're just built like Popeye! :wink:

Hahah! Not with my scrawny arms!

I found the stretch to be really good, but just a huge struggle to deal with. My problem is being small and inventory isn't very abundant.

Thanks for your info!

As for top entry versus back entry, I specifically selected for back entry so that I could remove the suit without removing my mask and reg; at least, that's my thinking.

When would you ever do that?

Anyway, I keep a sports squeeze bottle with diluted baby shampoo in my dive bag. I use it for mask anti-fog and I squirt it in the arms and legs of my wetsuit before donning and it slides right on.

I specifically selected for back entry so that I could remove the suit without removing my mask and reg; at least, that's my thinking.

I have been thinking about this for a while and
a, I cannot see why you would want to do this
b. I do not see how back or top entry makes a difference. With either one you need arms and legs and body free to take the wet suit off and put it on.

With mask on and something stuck in my mouth attached to a tank which is not attached to me both seem equally doable to me.

I have been thinking about this for a while and
a, I cannot see why you would want to do this
b. I do not see how back or top entry makes a difference. With either one you need arms and legs and body free to take the wet suit off and put it on.

With mask on and something stuck in my mouth attached to a tank which is not attached to me both seem equally doable to me.

I assumed he was talking about an alternative to back entry that was one of those where you pull part of it over your head and then zip across the chest. If you're only talking about normal front zip versus back zip, then yeah, no difference. You don't have to take the reg out or mask off to don/doff.

Regardless, yeah, when/why would you ever take your suit off while maintaining reg in and mask on?

Back
Top Bottom