Looking at you tech divers.... Looking at you...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like being able to go online and chat with good folks like people here, but I am afraid that that a lot of advancements the world have made over even the last 40 years has been a net negative. The 24 hour news cycle, the Internet, smart devices etc, seems to have accelerated the coming out and exploitation of the very worst in people. I find myself, more and more often, wishing we could trade it all in and go back to a simpler life. The genie's out of the bottle however...

That resonates with me. Some is worse than others, Facebook and Twitter seem especially attenuated to turning people in to turdballs.

Facebook and Twitter seem especially attenuated to turning people in to turdballs.

I prefer to think that they bring out the inner turdballs of people that are already closeted turdballs.

Every couple of months I find it useful to revisit Carlo Cipolla's 5 basic laws of human stupidity. Explains a lot.

I prefer to think that they bring out the inner turdballs of people that are already closeted turdballs. Every couple of months I find it useful to revisit Carlo Cipolla's 5 basic laws of human stupidity. Explains a lot.

There's a copy on my desk at work.

I prefer to think that they bring out the inner turdballs of people that are already closeted turdballs.

Every couple of months I find it useful to revisit Carlo Cipolla's 5 basic laws of human stupidity. Explains a lot.

The problem is they are depersonalizing basic human interaction. If you and I are communicating in person, there's a level of tact, empathy, civility and simple manners employed. As soon as people get behind the relative safety of a keyboard and mouse, it seems like the most vile and primally disgusting aspects of their personalities can take over and they vomit thoughts on the screen that they never say face to face. It's sad really but being rude is way to easy online and it's becoming more hard wired in people's neural networks and it's only a matter of time before it spills over to in person interactions.

I'm with OP and Nothing Clever on this. Most tech and CCR divers seem inherently suspicious to me. I've been monitoring SB trip reports diligently looking for threads like "Russian live aboard trip report" or "Had a blast on latest dive vacation"

While I think the US could have very well done it, but the US wouldn't be using divers. They have specialized subs for tapping undersea cables. They were among the blackest of the black secrets from the Cold War. They would've used one of them.

Back
Top Bottom