Looking at this reel. Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have this one in stock now. 1 left. I will also remount the bolt snap using cave line and toss in a custom reel stop at no extra cost.
JR. Tech Reel - Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork
That does look like a nice reel, but it sounds like for the OP, the handle is in the wrong place by 90 degrees.

If I have understood them correctly, picture this: when I hold out my fist with my thumb up (like I'm driving a car), the reel in the OP would feed out directly in front of me, the same direction as my forearm is pointing. The Manta one -- and most other reels I've seen -- would feed up, the direction my thumb is pointing. Or down toward my feet, if I flipped it over.

Do I have that right @Invader? I don't know of a better reel with this configuration, but hopefully characterizing the problem more explicitly will help others to make useful suggestions.

I was looking through what I have. There is a Highland reel in my older stuff. As built, not correct. But the handle bolts on 180° from where the line exits. I am willing to bet the handle could be unbolted, carefully adjusted (beaten with a hammer while in a vice) and bolted back on.

While not one of the prized high end reels, it still works. I recall the reel is overloaded with line as built. Take some line off it before using it.

acc1547_255x255.jpg

While we're talking about reels, could anyone explain to me why no reels seem to be designed so that your light will shine forward (assuming using a goodman) while holding the reel to wind the line back up?

I have this one in stock now. 1 left. I will also remount the bolt snap using cave line and toss in a custom reel stop at no extra cost.
JR. Tech Reel - Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork
Jim, I don't think OP could use that one without a bit of modification. He basically just has a palm to work with to hold it... actually, it would probably work if a bar or plate was added below the main handle so OP could jam his hand in place. The handle already has a spring plate mounted. It would be hander to drop if it jammed, but easier to use. @Invader what do you think? I can't speak for Jim, but he could probably make a mod like that at a reasonable cost if it would work for you.

While we're talking about reels, could anyone explain to me why no reels seem to be designed so that your light will shine forward (assuming using a goodman) while holding the reel to wind the line back up?
Halcyon makes one one. Honestly though, try changing your technique, it's really not that difficult to keep a light on a Goodman steady, stable, and pointed forward while winding up a reel or a spool.

Aluminum and FRP (Fiber Reinforced Plastic).

https://ww2.scubapro.com/en-GB/HKG/accessories/other-gear/products/scubapro-reel.aspx

As a side note (and why I picked this one out of the bunch) I am unable to curl the fingers in my left hand due to a resection that occurred in 2016, and removed 90% of the muscle in my forearm, and jacked up my tendons. I qualified scuba in this condition, and have progressed through sidemount and AN/DP just fine with some modifications. This setup will allow me to hold it and reel/unspool as necessary, while maintaining positive control.

I have tried holding standard reels, and would have to modify them into a similar configuration to make them work, but this one is already setup.

Any thoughts to durability/longevity, ease of use, etc?

If it works for you sure go ahead and get one, IMHO 2 many bells and whistles, keep it simple

I have a few of these available here in cave country.
Reels2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom