Looking at new BC's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh... and if you do decide to look into a Zeagle BC, I HIGHLY recommend you check out the Zeagle Brigade at ScubaToys.com before making your decision. It has all the best features of the scout and ranger without the shortcomings of either.

Wow you guys have been great and thank you to all of you I have alot of researching to do it seems, i like the look of the zeagles, and they sure have a good reputation, i got to find one to try out.

Thanks again for the great responce!

David

Oh... and if you do decide to look into a Zeagle BC, I HIGHLY recommend you check out the Zeagle Brigade at ScubaToys.com before making your decision. It has all the best features of the scout and ranger without the shortcomings of either.

Shortcomings of the Scout and Ranger? Do tell...

I have a Hollis HD 100. It's a back inflation style BC. I just bought it last year, and I love it. Before I bought it, I was looking at the Ranger. I borrowed one and dove it a few times, and I didn't like it. When there was just a touch of air in the wing, I felt like it had a propensity to form a bubble and roll, or move, from time to time, making meslightly uneven. This was very minor, but something I could live without. To me, the ripcord makes me uneasy. As an student of engineering, I tend to think of absolute worst case scenario, and I always picture those things getting snagged, or getting pulled inadvertantly. I know they aren't very hard to restring on land, but it would never be possible at depth. I like the quick lock release system, it feels intuitive. It's also flush against my body, which I like. The HD also has some nice roomy pockets that are easy to access, it's where I keep my shears, snorkel, etc. I don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm down on Zeagle, believe me, I don't want a Zeagle devotee knifing me at 50'. I like Zeagle, they make great products, and I own 2 Zeagle regs. As far as my personal preference is concerned, the Ranger was not for me. At the end of the day, whatever feels most comfortable for you to dive in is best. Borrow some rigs from friends, or even rent some from your LDS, try a few before you buy.

I used to dive a Oceanic Chute 3 and really liked it. Thought my trim was right and till I dove with a few divers in BP/W this year. The control that they had was very impressive. Now I use a BP/W and will never look back! Dive one and see if you like it but please have some one set it up for your body type. Good luck! :D

One thing more to consider is that if you normally keep gear in the pockets of a vest BCD, then you need a different solution if you go to a BP/W. DiveRite makes a thigh pocket system that can provide desired storage.
Jim

:cool2:I dive with a sherwood Avid its a jacket stye it work graet for ow diving it also has good tek capabuilites, pockets and you can adjust it to fit your Exsact size. anther bc back stye is the Ocanic Exseson it has pockets also

I don't know what all of you are talking about. I highly recommend a horse collar BCD! If you can find anyone that still makes one that is. :D

Seriously though, I would throw my hat in with the BP and wing crowd. I find I get better trim, I am more streamlined, plus the BP/W is more versatile and generally less physically restrictive than traditional BCDs. A lot of divers, including instructors, have the notion that they are for DIR or Tech divers only which just isn't true.

My personal preference is a backplate with a fancier padded harness like a dive rite transplate harness (other manufactures have similar options) instead of the DIR style basic webbing harness (I've used both). The fancier harness is more comfortable, much easier to adjust if for example you switch exposure suits, and generally a little easier to get out of in a hurry when needed.

That said, contrary to what a lot of people here on Scubaboard will tell you, there is no objective best answer to what type of BCD you should dive. Figure out what you are most comfortable with. Try it, dive it, make up your own mind and take the opinions of internet know it alls for what they are worth. :D

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom