Look at this...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives

I thought this was a pretty good video to watch. WOW!

In fact, I was considering what marine radio to buy and a handheld was out of the picture. Not so sure now.​

A boat mounted VHF with a good antenna and a hand held in a ditch bag. The boat radio to send out the mayday and the hand held to talk to the rescue helio when you are shark bait floating in the water

HOLY COW! Good thing that was in fairly warm water. (?)

I saw a smile when they were in the water. Most cool. First rule of survival: a positive attitude.

Love the scene where the life ring comes flying off the fishing vessel...

What captain said:

Console mount DSC VHF wired to get position info from the GPS, 6db gain antenna mounted as high as possible. These guys had time to push the red button and get a digital mayday out before the boat sank.

Handheld VHF in a neoprene float jacket. I wouldn't have it in a ditch bag unless you knew the ditch bag would float. Mine sits on top of the console. I'd go with the Nautilus Lifeline today.

BTW: the video doesn't show up in Firefox.

Does for me, update your flash. Are you on FF 5 or 6? I just saw the update for 6 today popup.

Nautilus sounds great - when and if it comes out. I would want it on me - then if your in the water, you know where it is.

Is it me, or is the narrator trying to sound like Jacques Cousteau?

If you're gonna be out of sight of land, you may want a self-activating EPIRB too.

I've seen a picture of Netdocs boat. He needs a Nautilus Lifeline strapped to the life jacket that he will be wearing. Then again, none of that is probably needed for when the boat sinks in six feet of water at the boat ramp. :wink:

What captain said:

Console mount DSC VHF wired to get position info from the GPS, 6db gain antenna mounted as high as possible. These guys had time to push the red button and get a digital mayday out before the boat sank.

Handheld VHF in a neoprene float jacket. I wouldn't have it in a ditch bag unless you knew the ditch bag would float. Mine sits on top of the console. I'd go with the Nautilus Lifeline today.

Works in Firefox for me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom