LOOE KEY dive report, monday, 7/7/14, no pics,,,,,,,,,,,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
planned on a day of snorkeling @ looe key with friends staying on little torch key from Jackson WY. however they rounded up dive gear, rented tanks and had an extra set for myself. sunshine/scattered storms, light winds and seas <1FT. a double on BUOY L18. it's been years since my last dive on this reef and the underwater show today was impressive. absolutely brilliant blue water, viz increasing to beyond 100FT(unlike local dive shops here, I rarely report that figure!!), zero current, water temp 85F @ 20-35FT. 8+FT bull shark, 4 reef sharks, 2 squadron's of 6+ eagle rays, 2 large goliath groupers hanging under the boat for over 4 hours(I believe the numerous snorkel boats are feeding them) along with large mutton snappers and black groupers. the reef overall appeared healthy, fishy. diving again wed or thurs and hope to have go pro video,

reefman
key largo

Last edited:
You met Nemo and Jerry (goliath groupers). I've never seen them fed, but they must. Many times the best shows are right under the boat. The topography especially on the west end really makes for a beautiful dive especially on the high viz days. I would really like to see you and timg bring your photograhic skills here sometime. You guys do such great work up north. :)

You met Nemo and Jerry (goliath groupers). I've never seen them fed, but they must. Many times the best shows are right under the boat. The topography especially on the west end really makes for a beautiful dive especially on the high viz days. I would really like to see you and timg bring your photograhic skills here sometime. You guys do such great work up north. :)

appreciate the kind words. diving again tomorrow or thurs(no cameras) and working out a road trip with timg and a few other locals before the summer ends(planning on using innerspace dive charters as they have a smaller vessel and a close friend knows the owner. that looe key resort Corinthian was jammed with patrons yesterday, appeared overloaded!! ). those goliaths were amazing and we plan on diving the buoys further SW from L18. any input on specific buoys would be welcome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

good stuff

Sorry...no specific mooring ball info. I went back through my logs looking. I usually note that info on sites I don't dive regularly, but I'm out at Looe Key often enough I don't track it. Doesn't make a lot of sense, cause that would be good info to retain...Anyway, I do note the farther west I move on the reef the dives are a bit deeper and the sand channels get deeper as well giving me a "flying through canyons" feeling during the dive. It's one of the things I like about the dive along with the wildlife. Enjoy and looking forward to the gopro vids.

Last edited:
What operator did you use? I want to go back there again.

What operator did you use? I want to go back there again.

went on a private boat. diving looe key again tomorrow or friday weather permitting and i'll post a report here. taking a few upper keys divers within a month for a road trip and I plan on using innerspace dive charters(6 pax)located on big pine key, highly recommended by locals here. looe key resort and strike zone charters(which iv'e used before) have large corithian's(49 passenger capacity!!!) and jam them with a mix of divers and snorkelers. they both moored near us and the vast majority of patrons were snorkeling and they appeared to be @ capacity, 49 individuals!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reefman
key largo

Last edited:
Sounds like an amazing dive!

It is a very nice dive. I don't mean to oversell it. We are fortunate, there are lots of beautiful dives in the Keys. Looe Key gets a tough rap for getting blown out easily, some of which is true, and that can be inconvenient for folks that travel long distances to dive. I remember reading a report, or white paper, prepared in the last decade, reporting that the ecological structure of Looe Key had collapsed. I haven't been diving long enough to talk about the "good old days," so I'm sure it's a case that I don't know what I've missed, but as reefman said, Looe Key seems healthy and fishy for the FL Keys. As I've said before, the topography of the reef with its "deep" sand channels is what imprinted on me that I daydream about when thinking about past dives. :)

Last edited:

Thank you AdivingBel. I would liked to have gone with reefman, but space on the boat was limited. Will get there sometime, I'm sure.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom