Longest underwater swim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not exactly what you were asking I know, but I do have a somewhat interesting fact.

In preparation for writing my book, I broke out all of my diving logbooks, knowing full well I might depress myself. I started adding up my hours in a saturation chamber.

Over a fifteen-year sat diving career, I did around 900 days, or two and a half years, in chambers around the world. You can get less than that for armed robbery!

That is 21,600 hours in a chamber you cannot walk more that two or three paces in, with usually seven other men who would, on occasion, smell and sound like feeding time at the monkey sanctuary. Take away say 100 days for decompression and bad weather. That leaves us with 19,200 hours or 800 working days.

Say an average diving day of between six and eight hours, and that gives us 4,800 hours or 200 full 24-hour days actually in the water.

Six and a half months either blowing bubbles or in the bell. Six and a half months wet.

Now I’m by no means the most prolific diver; there are guys out there that either can’t get enough diving, or money, and they would blow my hours out of the water.

None of those hours, days, weeks and months even include the thousands of air and mixed-gas dives I’ve done. Not that I wish I had done more. Not at all, that is quite enough for me. In all that time, have I ever found a gold coin or a virgin wreck?

Wars have started and finished while I’ve been in sat and I’ve not even known about them.

I’ve found a fridge in the middle of the Irish Sea that I was told, whilst donning my gear, was ‘definitely, 100% absolutely certainly a mine’. I’ve found Spitfire engines in Greece, a Jeep in the middle of the South Pacific, and fishermen and pilots still inside their craft, but I’ve not really found what I was looking for as a child.

That bit of mystery is still there, maybe because I don’t know what it looks like. I know I’m in the wrong industry. You are, after all, unlikely to find anything mysterious in the oil industry or hunting for mines.

Well, it depressed me!

I'm rambleing so I'll quit will I'm behind.

Tony DIVER DIVER. A diving book. Diving, scuba, saturation, a life under water.

Amazon.co.uk: Diver: Tony Groom: Books

I'm usually very good at searching the web, but could not find the greatest distance ever swam underwater using scuba tanks.

From guinnessworldrecords.com
Remember that our website features only a small selection of the 40,000 records listed in the Guinness World Records database.

In essence you should be able to stay down 3-5 ft or so indefinetly as long as you are supplied by a boat giving you more tanks. I'm sure eventually you'd have to give up and have some water.

How long would it take you to swim underwater across the atlantic? If you got food and a way to drink I bet you could make the whole trip underwater. I'm sure that would get you in the record books! Maybe a few corporate sponsors and bingo, go for it! Until someone circumnavigates the globe underwater that is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom