Long Term Regulator Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milbournosphere

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After making a regulator purchase and discovering a reg when rooting through the garage, I've suddenly been presented with the dilemma of storing two regulators that I don't plan on using for a while.

They're both older, an 86ish US Divers and an old early 70s Aqualung. The US Divers was up until recently my main regulator. Both have been serviced in the last 6-8 months and are in working order. I don't really see myself using either until I start getting to the point where I'm using a Pony or stage bottle, so what's the best way to store these? Should I remove the hose between the 1st/second and store the 1st/second stage in a plastic tub? Should I leave the hose on?

From what I gather, some of the folks on here have a legitimate library of regulators; what is your best practice for long term (read: longer than winter) storage?

I just use all of them... Rotating. Most of my SP seconds have the purge slightly depressed to reduce the spring pressure on the seat.
1st stage is not a concern as it is normally open. 2nd stage seats get imprints. For very long storage all the barrel based stages I store with orrifice screwed back so it does not leave the imprint on the seat.

From what I gather, some of the folks on here have a legitimate library of regulators; what is your best practice for long term (read: longer than winter) storage?

I do have a few regs that I have not used in years.....not as many as awap!

First stages that don't get used, I simply store as is in a drawer, dust cap on, port plugs in. Second stages are a bit different; D300s (I have several) just get stored in a plastic bag as is, I have a couple really cherry 109s that I bought, cleaned thoroughly, and store in pieces in a plastic container. No real reason to assemble them at the moment, and I get a smile when I see how totally perfect they are inside and out, and how some knucklehead just left them at the dive shop because some other knucklehead that works at the dive shop told him to buy a new plastic reg. Aahhh, knuckleheads, thank you!

Others I just store as is, no hose, adjustment knob all the way out, in a plastic bag.

That's actually really good news for me. As a temporary measure I did exactly what it looks like you did with yours: pulled the hoses, put the plugs in the first stage, and stored the second stages in a ziplock. Looks like I'll just leave them like that :)

I am having serious deja vu on this thread. Long term storage, I take the second stages apart, back off the seat or remove it and pack it so it does not get nicked. I remove the diaphram etc. On the first stages, I might back the spring down or remove it.

N

If it's been 8 months since they've been used anyway I would just have them serviced before you use them again. What everyone els is saying is valid however, if you don't have a backround in regulator repair you can actually do more harm than good. Not so much with the storage but putting the adjustments back in place for use. I would say just hang it up in a place where critters and bugs can't get to it, adjustments open, and have it checked out before you put it back into service.

Some good points have been made about longterm regulator storage. The only thing I'd add would be that after a long period of non-use, it is a great idea to perform the inspections and checks in this terrific list compiled by the "usual suspects":

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html

I do many of these test before each dive day, and for sure carefully inspect my reg sets if they've been "dry" for awhile.

Actual "servicing" may or may not be warranted after a long period of storage.... the only way to really know is to carefully inspect and test the reg.

I would not automatically "service" a reg that has been unused, even for several years. But I would test it carefully.

I'm among the DIY, "don't fix it if it isn't broke" crowd, but I do inspect and test carefully, and I do service my own regs.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
If it's been 8 months since they've been used anyway I would just have them serviced before you use them again. What everyone els is saying is valid however, if you don't have a backround in regulator repair you can actually do more harm than good. Not so much with the storage but putting the adjustments back in place for use. I would say just hang it up in a place where critters and bugs can't get to it, adjustments open, and have it checked out before you put it back into service.

If I did that there are several regulators I'd have to service every time I used them....

Maybe 8 years is more like it, not 8 months. And I would not "hang up" any regulator, especially by the hoses. Just store it in a drawer or box.

The whole point of long term storage procedures is to avoid the need to service the regulator.

One thing I left out, I store my regulators in plastic tubs, in my dry, cool, basement. A garage, hanging on a peg, not a good way to store the regulator, even short term.

N

Thanks for the tips, now hopefully nobody will ever have to do a storage thread again. I ended up storing them in a tub in my cool, relatively dry closet. The second stage is in a bag and the first stage has all of its plugs in. Should be just fine until they're ready to rock'n'roll again as a stage or pony reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom