Long term chronic exposure to contaminants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JWMays:
, but I do worry about what happens when you have low level exposure for say 30 years or so.
Don't forget about the cumulative toxic effects of oxygen. Breathing it for 70 years or so is usually fatal.

On a more serious note ..... if you are concerned, then just do what a lot of public service divers do and dive with full face mask with drysuit. If you never touch the water, then you don't need to worry about what's in it.

Charlie99:
On a more serious note ..... if you are concerned, then just do what a lot of public service divers do and dive with full face mask with drysuit. If you never touch the water, then you don't need to worry about what's in it.

Are these legally RCRA or CERCLA sites? Is your diving covered under OSHA rules in any way?

Your employer should be paying for pre, during and post-employment physicals and all all required PPE. Given the potential soup you're diving in, full drysuit, full face mask, no body contact whatsoever isn't out of the question at all.

Suits should be decond before removal esp. with the bacteria issues.

Check out what the EPA haz divers use:
http://yosemite.epa.gov/R10/OEA.NSF/webpage/Dive+Team

Contact them for further info, but you're not going to get answers on what 30 year exposures are going to do to you in particular.

And this is why I admire PSD's. If there is a body, gun or evidence in the bottom of the just about the worst pond scum/disease junk hole you can think of, they dive in and go get it. Throw in an alligator nest or 2, and I'd put every PSD up for metals of valor.

Try checking with them to see what protections they use, to keep the knats crawling in and chewing on their inner ear drums.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom