Long term chronic exposure to contaminants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JWMays

Reaction score
Hi to everyone,
I and most of my diving friends dive shallow fresh water to survey for rare species. There is minimal risk for any of the normal diving related injuries, but recently I have been researching the possible problem with long term damage from exposure to contaninants in the sediment and in the water column. I have not been lucky in finding much in the literature about this topic. If anyone has any suggestions for resources or just some personal experiences that would help me out a lot. Thanks to all, I look forward to reading your response.

Do the equivalent of what hazardous waste workers do and seal every part of your body from exposure. Like, dry suit, gloves, hood, mask...all sealed. What are you diving in? The discharge from Hooker Chemcal?

Sounds like an environmental public health risk assessment with dermal and ingestion exposure pathways? You might want to run a risk assessment calculation and examine the MRLs based on the parameters you are finding in the water? I'm no expert but environmental public health risk assessments IMHO are never truely accurate because they only account for single parameters and not synergistic effects and they are also based on rat data. Unfortunately I thinks its all we have. Running into any teflon? ;O) sounds like a much-needed study...

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/mrls.html

You have some seriously technical work ahead of you to conduct an HHRA.

You'll need a site characterization to identify specific chemical contaminants and concentrations (which would require a sampling and analysis effort), establish both mean and reasonable maximum exposure (RME) scenarios, and determine the relevant exposure pathway for the receptor (you).

After that, you need to collect the toxicity data for each compound of interest, perform the risk estimate calculations, and then interpret the results for the various statistical data sets used. If you managed to get a number, would you have any idea what it means...most lay people would be completely baffled by the output of an RA.

Locate an engineer, chemist, biologist/toxicologist, statistician and you're all set. Oh and wait until you see what a full suite of lab analyses will cost...not cheap.

I'd be far more concerned about acute health hazards than chronic, long-term exposures. Unless the water body is grossly contaminated with chemical pollutants, I'd worry more about bacteria, viruses, and venomous snakes.

If you have direct knowledge about significant chemical contamination where you're diving, use fully-encapsulating vulcanized suits and have a decon procedure established to limit cross-contamination. Otherwise, just don't dive there any more.

FFMDiver:
I'm no expert but environmental public health risk assessments IMHO are never truely accurate because they only account for single parameters and not synergistic effects and they are also based on rat data.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/mrls.html

Not sure what you mean by only 'single' parameters, but they can entail numerous contaminants (metals, VOCs, SVOCs, PAHs, petroleum-based hydrocarbons, organo-chlorine pesticides, ad nauseum), multiple receptors, multiple exposure scenarios, age categories, dermal/ingestion/inhalation pathways, and there are mechanisms to calculate cumulative effects on similar tissue groups/organs.

Uncertainty factors are used to compensate for the extrapolation of toxicity effects (NOAEL/LOAEL/LD50/LD100, etc) observed in laboratory animals to humans. Kinda hard to get reliable data from intentionally subjecting people to toxins; there are some scientific conventions that prohibit using some such data derived from human experimentation in the Soviet Union, Nazi Germany, and other places.

The process has a significant amount of estimation, extrapolation, and uncertainty involved, but as you stated, it's the best tool available at present.

Thanks to everyone for the reply,
I have been working on a request/justification for some new drysuit/ffm outfits because my personal risk assessment is that the risks outweigh the added cost, monetary and time that it takes to maintain and operate that extra gear. I obviously would not dive in any place that had any known significant concentration of any one pollutant, but from my own work every site, in freshwater, has detectable concentrations of many tens to hundreds of organic compounds and bioavailable metals. I agree that bacterial and viral concerns are probably the most common ailment, but they, for the most part, have rather short term and manageable consequences. What I really want to know is the personal experiences of anyone out there that has had to deal with any kind of chronic problem. For example, chronic exposure, chemical and biological, has been known to cause all sorts of different kinds of immuno problems ranging from catastrophic immune system failure, anca, arthritis and a myriad of different skin problems that have no specific etiology. The commonality in these examples is that the people who came down with the unexplained illness had spent years mucking around in different streams and being exposed to the sediment. I post this question here because the number of professional biologists that spend a significant amount of time at the bottom of a swamp is pretty limited, but there are so many recreational divers out there that I feel certain that these problems must have shown up at some point.
Again thanks to all for the help.

Do you have an idea of the source(s) of the contaminants? Is the site near a chemical plant, refinery, military base, etc?

I cover the whole state of NC, so sites are potentially downstream of waste water treatment, and that can have any number of contaminants, from hospotal wastes to household chemicals to who knows what. Sometimes sites are downstream of different manufacturing plants, that could be anything also, but dioxin, organochlorines, PCB, methylmercury, lead, many other metals. Old bridges are commonly cured with creosote, which not only has carcinogenic effects but can actually chemical burn the skin many years after being placed onsite. One very specific worry of mine is being downstream of animal production facilities, where their un-regulated use of anitbiotics, especially in pigs, could have created novel bacteria that have no trouble persisting in the body for a long time. This is disregarding the whole gamut of normal bacteria and virus that are omnipresent. It is amazing how much the body can withstand. I spent my teens thrill seeking any flooded river in the east for a good kayak run. I think we all know how high those E. coli levels get when the wwtp start overflowing in a good flood, and I lived through that with only one very severe kidney infection. For five years now I have been doing endangered species research with an emphasis on toxicology. For the most part if you can find an aquatic endangered species you are not going to die from acute exposure, but I do worry about what happens when you have low level exposure for say 30 years or so. Maybe you're fine. Maybe you have to deal with a progression of increasing stress on the body that comes to haunt you in the end. The evidence is anecdotal, but anecdotal evidence is evidence just the same, and it seems to point to the body being able to handle it just fine right up until it can't handle it anymore and then you notice the problem too late to do anything about it. Right now, I show up on site and I look at a stream and I have to make the call "Okay I can dive in that, or to heck with the environment I'm not going in that." and that works alright for not spending the night up with the runs. What I really want to know though is should I be saying no to a lot more sites, or suck it up and go dry for everything and stop worrying about exposure and start worrying about how to get my job done with the hinderance of a few k worth of dry gear. Keep in mind now that I rarely dive in anything that I can't stand up in and for the vast majority of my work I can snorkle just fine. Switching to dry would not only greatly increase my operating cost, it will make me much slower with considerably more effort. Also, and I know this is not a discussion for this thread, but has anyone ever heard of a dry snorkle. I have some engineering types helping me think about a snorkle that can be attached to a ffm that will have a "bite valve". When you bite it it seals itself up for a submersion and then opens up when you let up on the bite. Not totally unlike the snorkles with the little float that sealt the top when submerged, just with much more tension to minimize any leak top or bottom. As always thanks to everyone who takes time to read all of this. Cheers.

The questions regarding long term exposure to many different compounds and combinations of compounds can at best be answered with an educated guess. Take Cincinnati for example. Why are some cancers much more prevalent there than nationwide? Getting drinking water from the Ohio River seems a logical answer but exactly what pollutant is causing it? I would go for maximum security as far as reducing exposure because in our life time, you'll never be able to find all the answers as to what chemicals cause problems (mainly cancers) after long term exposure.

If I was doing repetititve diving in contaminated waters, I'd find a way to get a drysuit. $500-1000 for a used suit seems like a lot of protection for very little expense.

The increased drag shouldn't be that big of an issue IMO.

The cumulative effect of contaminants on target organs is the current RA model, but some researchers suggest that single-incident exposures to certain carcinogens may result in cancer in some persons.

Risk assessments are based on statistical probablities for populations, not individuals.

Roll the dice and see what happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom