"Long range" and "advanced" dives in Kona - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally would do the advanced boat (first choice) and long range (second choice). Advanced boats are smaller groups, and long range will hopefully make you not feel like you could have done the same dive from the shore. Every time I've been on Big Island, those trips are either sold out, or cancelled, or something. Some dive shops won't let you do advanced unless you've dived with them before, because they want to ensure everyone is comfortable. My advanced trip with Jack's was cancelled, so I did a local boat dive. As said above, most dive sites are literally feet away from the coastline, and there's plenty of shore diving to do there. So why not use the boat to do something you can't do w/o a boat? That's my thought.

I personally would do the advanced boat (first choice) and long range (second choice). Advanced boats are smaller groups, and long range will hopefully make you not feel like you could have done the same dive from the shore. Every time I've been on Big Island, those trips are either sold out, or cancelled, or something. Some dive shops won't let you do advanced unless you've dived with them before, because they want to ensure everyone is comfortable. My advanced trip with Jack's was cancelled, so I did a local boat dive. As said above, most dive sites are literally feet away from the coastline, and there's plenty of shore diving to do there. So why not use the boat to do something you can't do w/o a boat? That's my thought.

Makes sense, thanks.

We always book the advanced or long range trips as they usually have less divers onboard and get to less crowded sites. Pacific Rim, Kona Honu and Big Island Divers are all good ops out of Kona. Blue Wilderness is a fun group that uses a RIB out of Puako and Kahala Divers up north is also great and they are usually the only boat at the sites they use. Shore diving the Puako area is always on our list when we go to the Big Island.

Nice shots...we've been seeing the Tiger Sharks at Honokohau Harbor/Alua Beach this summer. Fun and easy shore dive for those who don't mind crossing the 100 yards of lava.

Wobbly Lava ‘trail’ at that ! But it’s funny how that busy harbor mouth has sharks, rays, dolphins and weird stuff. And pretty healthy coral.

Yes, the ‘long range’ is worth it but shore dive ‘dog beach’ and 2 step and Puako if conditions allow.

Pelagic ‘Magic’ and Manta Dive are really worth $ imho. I’d do those before long range just because they’re pretty unique.

Yes, the ‘long range’ is worth it but shore dive ‘dog beach’ and 2 step and Puako if conditions allow.

Pelagic ‘Magic’ and Manta Dive are really worth $ imho. I’d do those before long range just because they’re pretty unique.
Gotcha, definitely doing the pelagic magic and manta dive. A bit apprehensive about the pelagic magic but looking forward to it.

Gotcha, definitely doing the pelagic magic and manta dive. A bit apprehensive about the pelagic magic but looking forward to it.

Not as scary as you might think. You see so much crazy stuff you forget to be scared. Buoyancy.

Jack's dives sites in the Red Hill area south - supposed to be some of the better dives.

My buddy did a boat dive at a site south where they were joined by several hundred spinner dolphins. Not close to shore. Don't know the name.

If the gf likes turtles, go snorkel at Kahalu'u Beach park south of Kona.

for honesty - although I'm sure Jack's is also - contact Kerry at Kona Dive Company.

Hi there dougmatic. Thank you for asking about the advanced local and long range trips compared to the "regular" trips. I hardly ever try to convince folks to do an advanced trip rather than a regular trip...especially if they haven't already done a ton of regular trips. The divers that are the best fit for the advanced trips are those who have done our regular trips many, many times and would like to try something different...or those who do not want to be on a boat with beginners or rusty divers. Other than that, I usually tell people that the advanced dives aren't necessarily better than the regular trips. Rather, they are a different style of trip. But if you're looking for something a bit different...then a long range trip would be one to consider. We offer them 1 or 2 days a week and need a minimum of 4 divers to make it a "go". Let me know if you have questions. angela@jacksdivinglocker.com

On our trip to Kona last year I did the Manta, Pelagic and long range (among many others).

In our case, the long range turned into (I think) a combination advanced because all of us had quite a few dives. I only had 105 and I was one of the newest divers.

The site we went to is one I will remember forever. It was "Touch of Gray" - named both for the sharks that we found sleeping in almost every crevice and Jerry Garcia, who dove with Jack's for many years. In addition to being down in the caves and crannies, towards the end of the five I just hung out at 40' for a while. The water was so clear I could see what felt like 100s of feet in every direction. It was like hovering in mid air.

So, yes, there are some sites that you can only get to on the long range dive, and at least a few of them are magical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom