Long night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear

NOK
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Got called out at ~ 10:20 Saturday night for 3 people in Eklutna Lake. Turns out they had been in a canoe and it tipped over. 2 of them swam to shore, the 3rd didn't make it. None had life jackets on. The lake is fed mostly by glacier runoff, so it is very silty (vizibility zero, even with a light) and at temps a couple degrees above freezing, very cold.

Here's the TV story and the Newspaper article.

The lake is 10 miles up a winding road that starts ~25 miles form the station. By the time we got there, a triangulation from the witnesses and set up the platform (3 anchors securing the boats), it was nearly midnight. I was the first diver in the water. It was almost 2am by the time we got too cold and tired to continue. So we left an anchor and buoy to mark where we had searched and headed back to Anchorage.

I talked to the Sunday shift's guys last night and they had gone up there at about noon and at 8:30 pm, had just got back to the station.

Our team might make one more attempt today, but a successful recovery is doubtful.

Sorry to hear about that.

For the life of me I will never understand why people don't wear PFD's when they're in canoes.

I've been paddling for 45 years and still wear a PFD when I'm in my boat. No one gets in my canoe without properly wearing a PFD.

And it that water, it's suicide.

Don't mean to sound callous . . .

Once again, my sympathies.

the K

Hang in there SB. I don't have to tell you it's Risk vs Benifit. Stay safe and stay warm.

Canoe's w/o PFD's = Job Security.

Gary D.

The Kraken:
For the life of me I will never understand why people don't wear PFD's when they're in canoes.
Well, if you're gonna go paddling out in 4 degree C water without wearing a dry suit (or a pretty thick wetsuit) it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference, does it? ... except for making it easier for the recovery crew to retrieve the body.
Rick

Ya got a point, Rick. But most people generally remain relatively close to shore when canoeing.

Besides, most canoeists, campers, etc. probably wouldn't have general access to wet suits or dry suits.

But I speak in generalizations . . .

There are certain things to which one should give safety consideration, just as in diving.

the K

Snowbear:
That's one thing about summer in Alaska - we were diving after midnight at it was not night diving :D
Still, your brain and body know it's the middle of the night.

Gotta' be tough....

Rick Murchison:
Well, if you're gonna go paddling out in 4 degree C water without wearing a dry suit (or a pretty thick wetsuit) it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference, does it? ... except for making it easier for the recovery crew to retrieve the body.
Rick
Actually, as long as the person's breathing, she or he can survive for quite some time while hypothermic (hours). Submersion makes the breathing part difficult, though. The surface rescue team was there within 1/2 an hour with jet skis in the water a few minutes after that. If the person had been floating, he likely would be reminiscing the incident with his buddies.

Rick Inman:
Still, your brain and body know it's the middle of the night.

Gotta' be tough....
True ~ especially since it had been about 42 hours since I had slept :11:
I had just gone to bed when the tones went off for the callout. Finally slept for about 2 1/2 hours starting at 4 a.m.

Any updates yet?

The biggest update we want to hear is all your team is safe.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom