Long knife better than short?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got tangled on second checkout dive. The rope from an underwater buoyancy course had broken free and snared the first stage/tank valve. I just remembered training since wasnt that long ago...lol. I stopped glanced over shoulder saw rope heading from bottom towards first stage. Grabbed hold of rope and moved backwards. Didnt need to cut but still carry small knife or EMT shears cause easier on fishing line.

This has been informative. I was wondering what everone would say. I do carry knife. It's not one of those small little stubby ones. I like the longer one . it's a standard knife that also has a serrated edge. havnt used it and hope i dont have to. I carry it on my BC upside down on the left side.

I think the longer one is better because it feels like a real knife

...On a more serious note, being a new diver help me out here....what would force me to only use one hand to free myself? Learning/knowing that will help me avoid it.

1. Having one arm entangled (net, monofiliment, whatever), one arm free.
2. Becoming entangled while in a tight, restricted space (wreck, cave, swim through, etc.), one arm is pinned, one free.

I've been very lucky so far. I've never been seriously entangled. Nothing that needed cutting, and I was able to free myself without problems. But it does make sense to have your cutting tool easily reached by either hand.

Safe Diving!

A great deal of thought should be paid to what gear you carry on any dive. Tools that are more multi-purpose/multi use should be given greater consideration. Shears really only have 1 use unless they are of the type designed to be both shear and knife. Many of the dive knives available today have multiple cutting edges suited to cutting different materials, while others have tank bangers. Many of us use our knife to poke at things before handling to make sure it is safe and without hidden surprises. To say that a long knife doesn't have good additional purposes over a small knife is foolish and without thought. Shears may have an advantage on slack line but given a choice of a single tool the long knife is more versatile than either shears or a smaller knife.
The extra surface area of a longer knife allows for:
Faster cutting action
Slower dulling of blades on the same materials
A longer safely zone for poking
Greater leverage for prying
Longer possible penetration for hunting/protection
more ballast

Aside from using the brain god gave you, This is the first tool that should be added to your basic gear and the last you should be willing to do without.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom