Long Island Sound Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ojai Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, regular Pacific diver here. Never have dove the Atlantic before. My sister's family resides on Long Island, out by Wading River, and they have graciously asked my family out to visit in August.

Any leisure time near large bodies of unexplored water gets this diver's brain turning over with possibilities.

Did I mention my brother in law has his own boat at our disposal?

Can anybody comment on diving possibilities in Long Island Sound or the vicinity of east Long Island generally? If there are any, what could I expect in the way of visibility, currents, temperature? Are there any reasonably accessible wrecks in the area?

Thank you.

Am not a real expert on LI, but have dived quite a few shore spots. Usually to 10- 20'. You'd have to find a boat ramp I assume. The peoblem may be not finding one, but finding a place where you can legally park the car. Many of the "towns" --especially on the Eastern end--require town stickers which only residents can buy.
Water temps. in summer usually mid 60s but can be lower or up to maybe 72F.
Viz is good, actually very good on the Eastern end (10-20'?), better the further away from NYC.
Currents are odd. Tides come in from NYC and also from around the Eastern end (Montauk/Orient Points). Direction of current can vary greatly, but generally they go along the shore as opposed to in and out. They can change quickly when the two tide areas are dealing with tide change. Again this varies a lot. Some places you won't find any noticable current no matter what. Hopefully you can nail down exactly where you'll dive and proceed from there. Good luck.

Wading river is out to east end of LI..give Randy at hamptons dive center a call...li sound that Far East can have better conditions for visibility than the west end. Wrecks, old bottle sites all out there. Also have Freeport on Long Island and can dive ocean wrecks like US San Diego WW 1 armored cruiser., u853 German ww2 submarine..

If you feel like venturing to the north side (CT shores) you could give (@squalus357) a message. He also has a website where he videos a large amount of sites in the NY, CT, RI area. The website has a really neat map which you can utilize to choose what sites best interest you, then view one of his videos. The videos give you a play by play of what to expect and things to see at each site.

www.squalusmarine.com

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom