Long Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTodd:
(I suppose a gut could too but then we aren't talking DIR)

Good thing there isn't any recurrent certs needed then. I've seen a few card carrying lounge lizzards down this way. :wink:

I can't imagine a 7' hose would be too short for anyone. I'm guessing it's not routing straight down from the post or something.

wolves64t:
Well I am 6-3 as well but I have really short legs and a freakishly long torso. I dive single tanks with a wetsuit and a back inflate bc. I am hoping that when I finally get my BPW or my can light finished the problem will solve itself but for now I am hoping to hear some other techniques people have tried.

Once you get the right gear it will all fall into place.

RTodd:
First, put you knife back where it is supposed to be on the left side by the buckle so it is easier to reach. Second, I have never seen any diver too short or to tall to properly use a 7' hose. Given the way a backplate fits, an enourmously broad chest (I suppose a gut could too but then we aren't talking DIR) would have a greater impact on hose length than a person's height. A really screwed up first stage hose configuration could also cause problems. Have someone that really understands DIR help you adjust your rig.
OK, but what should he do with the hose??

RTodd:
put you knife back where it is supposed to be on the left side by the buckle so it is easier to reach.
Hello. It's that assuming you're right handed?
:wink:

Anyway, the reason it's on the right side is only in case you DON'T have a canister light. (AG helped me with that logic on my DIRF.) In the end, it's not a huge deal, I just wanted to clarify why.

Spectre:
So when you're left handed you sling all your stage bottles on the right so that you can easily reach your knife with your left hand? :wink:
His logic - not mine! :wink:

mrobinson:

Easier to reach as in it is right in front. If you don't know how it all works, don't bother to argue about it. Left of the buckle puts it immediately to the left of the crotch stap when everyting is rigged up. If that makes a difference to you whether you grab it right or left handed you may have a career in the circus sideshow.

As for what to do with it, he doesn't have a backplate. Glad to see he is moving in the right direction, but there is a reason for everything and without the whole system it breaks down. If he did have a plate, you just tuck a few inches in the waistband.

mrobinson:

Assuming you're speaking of RTodd... his logic is correct. The knife is on the left side of the buckle for two reasons. 1) Because it would impede the removing the canister light from your waistband and 2) because your right side is much less encumbered then your left side; and therefore you will be able to reach farther across your body with your right hand then you can with your left hand and your knife must be in a position where it can be easily reached by either hand.

One of the main principles is that the groundwork is laid out so that things don't need to change as experience grows and dives become more complicated. There are numerous procedural things where the -why- is far beyond what a beginner diver would experience.

One could make the argument that in a single tank rig, having the pressure guage on your right side "isn't a big deal", or having a dump valve on the right side of a wing "isn't a big deal"... but it becomes a much bigger deal later down the road; and modifying principles that "aren't a big deal" to try and pound a round principle into a square hole [like the base issue of a BC vs. BP/Wing] completely defeats the whole purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom