Long hose without can light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those using a long hose (in backmount), the standard practice is to donate the hose that you're breathing. To take up slack in the 7 foot length, it wraps around your body, like the yellow hose shown in this photo.

There's a clip near the regulator, but it's really only clipped off if you're on land, breathing another gas, or it's compromised. Reg out of your mouth always gets donated. No need to unclip in an emergency.

thanks for bringing this up - if you're clipping off a 7' hose at your hip, the hose slack between the reg and the clip is still going to be longer than your arm - a clip in that location would not delay your ability to donate. and once everybody's breathing and you need the full 7' to go single file, you easily have a moment to reach down and unclip.

don't mean to argue DIR principles, clearly I'm not well versed - just applying a bit of what I consider to be common sense. Greatly appreciate and value all opinions shared!

Ahh... I did not get the fact that you were suggesting having it on your right hip. Generally you won't have a D ring there, and I definitely wouldn't want an extra snag point. Certainly not one like that little yellow thing.

Stuffing the hose in your waist band or looping around a battery, stick, pocket, knife, whatever is a bit more streamlined approach. Some will also use slightly shorter 5 foot hoses for rec diving so there's no need for it to go around your hip area.

Common sense and asking "why" is always a good thing!!

Doesn't carrying the delrin/pvc simulator or a can light just for the sake of holding a hose present the same conflict?

I agree. I just tossed out some things that occurred to me off the cuff.

That said, one could argue--and who doesn't like arguing?--that the delrin rod is a lot more robust than an item that looks to me like a combination of a carabiner and hose clip because it has no moving or flexing parts. Between the delrin rod and this item, I think the delrin rod would win. But the real winner is probably the suggestion to just tuck the excess in one's waist belt. That's what my instructor suggested when I was not using a can light. The simplest solution gets extra points.

Again, greatly appreciate the input! Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers asking stupid questions. I like the idea of DIR/Hogarthian setups, so long as it makes sense to me.

I'm putting together my daughter and my first regs this week and we're going with the 7' main and necklaced octo. While our Ranger LTD bcds do indeed have low-enough d-rings to clip at the hip, this thread has me reconsidering.

Then we are in vehement agreement. Let's agree to agree.

(I totally stole that bit from someone else.)

I think you should stuff it......................................................................if you're not using a canister.

yeah, but why?

Perfect. That's the purpose of a discussion; things are questioned when its not obvious and one learns the answers.

I don't mean this to be an inflammatory comment
Appropriate question asked. good discussion below.

Interesting how some stuff is Hogarthian but not necessarily GUE followed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom