• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Long hose without can light

Discussion in 'Hogarthian Diving' started by Compressor, Feb 24, 2017.

1. boulderjohn

boulderjohn Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I think the need for total conformity in issues like this has been overstated and overvalued. I find that if I need a cutting device, which is pretty darn rare, I have no trouble remembering where mine are.

Compressor and rhwestfall like this.
  2. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    It is a place holder for the absent can light.... you can still keep the other components the same if that bothers you (second knife). FWIW, I'm left handed so some of the "right handed" configuration principals aren't necessarily "best" for me.

If you feel you need to be a disciple of some religion, decide that and dedicate.... :cheers:

can I get an AMEN...

Compressor likes this.
  3. teknitroxdiver

teknitroxdiver Solo Diver

I have a pocket that slides on the waist strap that works pretty well for holding the long hose. It's not as good as a can light but better than tucking it in. And, of course, it holds stuff.

EFX, Alastor and rhwestfall like this.
  4. divezonescuba

divezonescuba Dive Charter

I use a piece of bungee formed in two loops. The first loop is formed by a knot. This loop goes around the waist belt part of the harness. It should be tight so it doesn't move. The second loop can be formed by a wire tie or a plastic toggle clamp. The second adjustable loop is where you put the extra hose. You can either stretch it or adjust it to put the hose thru. I put it towards the front right of my waist belt.

5. Compressor

Compressor ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

I agree. We should not be robots.

No way. If I wanted to be a blind disciple, I would not ask the question. I asked the question because I wanted to know what would be a good option not what a certain group tells me to do.

Amen and agree.

A neat idea. Something to think about.

rhwestfall likes this.
  6. _Ralph

_Ralph Manta Ray

There are many options if tucking the hose isn't to your liking.

If you have a pound or two to spare in luggage, you can make one of these (since you say you require some lead anyways) ... Courtesy of a LAUE member. He mentions 2.5lb is what they seem to prefer.

image.jpg

Else a piece of plumbing (or purchase a fake canister).

_R

7. Michael Guerrero

Michael Guerrero Solo Diver

I use a 7ft hose and tuck it in my belt. I tighten the strap if I find it pulling loose, and if I'm wearing a wetsuit I may tighten it further at depth after suit compression.

8. guruboy

guruboy Divemaster ScubaBoard Supporter

You can get a Delrin version that's lighter.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  9. rongoodman

rongoodman ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Just tucking it works OK for me, but since I've added the Halcyon weighted bellows pocket for wet suit dives, that works too.

10. eelnoraa

eelnoraa DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    tucking works well for me as well. the key is tuck in from the right side near the plate, and come out from the right front of hip, so the hose form a U on the right side. If you tuck in front near the crotch strap, it will come out.

rongoodman likes this.